• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sage

I've been tasked with getting Sage 50 accounts up and running for my wife's business. They don't currently use Sage and want to deploy it as:

- Main system at the office
    - Up to 2 users using Sage from remote locations (from home via VPN)

I've had a search around and it would seem that Sage isn't ideally suited to using it in a networked environment, let alone over VPN. I had initially thought of having Sage installed on a laptop at home, VPN'ing into the office and connect to the main Sage system.

Now, it seems the workable solution is to open a remote desktop session onto the main system from home and run Sage only on the main server.

What's the best OS to get for the main server at the office? Windows SBS 2008 with the appropriate Term Serv CALs?

Just had a quick read and there seems to be an issue with running terminal services on a "primary" SBS. Maybe I can use RDP instead?

There also seems to be 2 flavours of SBS - standard and premium!

Much confusion

Why SAGE? Is it too late to find something with slightly more open support.

Line 50 was almost entirely file based and running remotely was terminal service or nothing I doubt this has changed.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Why SAGE?
      And what else would you propose to use? We recently had to get Sage 50 Professional + support contract, that's what accountants know very well, safe choice really .

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        And what else would you propose to use? We recently had to get Sage 50 Professional + support contract, that's what accountants know very well, safe choice really .
        It's what accountants get paid a commission to recommend
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          It's what accountants get paid a commission to recommend
          We bought direct, so no commission - the cost of part time contract accountant will be much greater than that of software, most versions are actually cheap as not many people need Pro version of Sage.

Comment

I used to use Sage for work. It's not a very good package.

There are much better open source packages.

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
              I used to use Sage for work. It's not a very good package.

There are much better open source packages.
              As others have mentioned, it's being requested by the accountants. I've just been told to get it working! What's the OS packages that are a better option? Ta.

Comment

We are running latest Sage Line 50 (v12?) on Win7 64 bit, and the only problem seems to be you have to run it as administrator as it likes to store files in Program Files folder.

I can run it via Remote Desktop (formerly called Terminal Services Client), or RDesktop on Linux, although I've only used these on the internal network.

It is possible to run Remote Desktop through the router quite easily. I haven't planned to implement VPN but I probably wont leave the ports open all the time for this.

Sage Payroll also runs OK, but I found that to run Sage Instant Accounts (which we also have for some clients) will only run in XP Mode on Win7 64 bit.
                "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                  We are running latest Sage Line 50 (v12?) on Win7 64 bit, and the only problem seems to be you have to run it as administrator as it likes to store files in Program Files folder.
                  Can you install it somewhere outside the Program Files folder, for example C:\SAGE, and apply suitable ownership and permissions to that?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X