• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cuba

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuba

My sister has chosen it as the setting for her wedding next year and so I thought while I'm there I might as well tour the country a bit

Has anyone ever been? if so, what did you think of it?

how did you get there given that via USA is not possible? (i.e which airline/airport) likely options so far seem to be with Thompson <shudder> or Virgin Atlantic from London or via Paris with Air France. The only other alternatives I've found seem to be via Toronto, Jamaica or Cancun.

any recommendations of places to stay, see or go? Havana obviously is a must and the wedding is in some "All Inclusive" resort in Varadero (which reading up on seems to me to be the Costa Del Sol of the Carribean )

<awaits the imminent Guantanamo jokes>

cheers

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Yeah, I've been to Havana. Fracking brilliant place.

It's a complete dump, but that is part of it's charm.

I've mainly stayed here, the Hotel Nacional. It claims to be a five star but it's more like a good four. The restaurant there is five star though.

I've also stayed at a Casa once. Good for a cheap laugh but not too highly recommended.

When I was last there (2004) I thought it was one of the safest places I've ever been abroad. However, given what I've seen of the Cuban ol' Bill I wouldn't like to live there. We regularly saw youngsters that were trying to hustle tourists been picked up by them. Yeah, you'll get a lot of begging.

The Cuban people are lovely; poor, but not stupid. There is music everywhere.

Remember to tip.

I was based in the region so I didn't have to do a long-haul flight so I can't advise there.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      I've mainly stayed here, the Hotel Nacional. It claims to be a five star but it's more like a good four. The restaurant there is five star though.

cheers HAB, am quite looking forward to the trip tbh, just can't find a decent flight to get there.

the Hotel Nacional is the first place my sister was planning on staying, good to have it recommended
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I've always fancied going. Love to go before it changes. Safe for kids?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just make sure you plan your trip properly though. We went with friends who had a couple drop out at last minute so we jumped in their boots. We didn't have a say in where they went as it was too late but the island is huge. It is not the small island you expect it to be.!! The place they booked was an all inclusive resort midway between the two Havana and the southern tip so a 7 hour drive to either side. The area around was pretty barren apart from a few other all inclusive resorts. It was great place don't get me wrong but couldn't have been in Spain for all we saw of the place and the culture.

They were happy as they got sun sea sand and some relaxation. For me was a boring waste of time. You don't fly all the way there to stay in the same enclosure for 10 days.

Make sure you read up where your proposed holiday location is as it can be a very long way from anything interesting.

Havana is pretty safe I believe in the back of beyond it isn't as they have nothing to do but prey on tourists.

Just had a look at where you say. Looks like Cancun to me. Built up tourist area that has nothing in common with the actual country you are in. I am sure if you want sun and sea it is great. Beaches are good in Cuba and hotels look nice.

As I say check distances and transport. The place is a lot larger than it appears to be looking at maps!!!
          Last edited by northernladuk; 6 September 2010, 17:50.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i've been all over cuba from baracoa on the far east coast to pina del rio on the west coast but didnt go to varadero as it seemed too touristy.

flew virgin atlantic from london direct.

for a stress free holiday go to havana and at the big hotels they have a tour desk with different day trips (or longer) to different parts of the island, I did one and found it good value and saw a lot.

Comment

Can you travel to USA with passport containing stamps from Cuba?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Can you travel to USA with passport containing stamps from Cuba?
                They don't stamp your passport (well, they will if you are stupid enough to insist like ex-mrs HAB's sister). They stamp a sheet that is handed in when you leave.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  They don't stamp your passport (well, they will if you are stupid enough to insist like ex-mrs HAB's sister). They stamp a sheet that is handed in when you leave.
                  Nice way to violate embargo without leaving obvious traces and support commie regime there

Bear in mind that airplane ticket information is shared

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Nice way to violate embargo without leaving obvious traces and support commie regime there

Bear in mind that airplane ticket information is shared
                    I don't think they really give a frack.

I've been in and out of Cuba loads of time. I've been in and out of the US even more. I've never had any trouble. Never been asked about it. In fact I've never been asked about anything. Just, stamp my passport and a "Welcome back to the United States Mr HAB" But as I've often said, I'm a middle aged, English (i.e. white), businessman. I'm not the guy they are looking for. Being a very frequent flyer on regular routes with everything already known about me in UK and US databases helps I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X