• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember how

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember how

years ago, the phone would make a noise time after time. You'd answer it, and on the other side an agent with the same amount of excitement as a lottery winner? "You're not available for 3 weeks?, that's too bad my client needs someone for Monday"

How times change.

Today the same agent calls me once, twice, three times throughout the week wanting to get to know me.

It's starting scare me.

Wanting to set me up with a client 2 months down the like looking for commitment.

What does it mean when agents show a lot of interest in you and setting you up with their client?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I've got a pimp who won't take no for an answer, decided I didn't want to take the gig after interview.

He has left several e-mails/texts/ calls to get back to him despite me categorically stating no.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Ah, the good old days, I worked opposite a chap who would answer his phone thus:
      Hello....
      How much and where ?
      No.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        What does it mean when agents show a lot of interest in you and setting you up with their client?
        It means they're about to ask you for two 'references'.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          It means they're about to ask you for two 'references'.
          Or asking you to come in for a chat.

Current pimp has now "renegotiated" the rate (aka taken an amount out of his cut) and is still insisting on me taking this gig, how many times do you have to say no before he gets the hint.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I had a pimp tell me about a role at a company I used to work for. Basically said its working directly for the head of the company, Mr Smith. Now I know Mr Smith as I did work for him and they do use this agency to get work (small agency - not a large player).

He asked me to a reference so he'd put me through just to check I was up to the job. FFS! I used to be directly contracted to Mr Smith but not 12 months ago. He'll know if I'm tulip or not.

In the end I got bored and just phoned direct. Alas wanted someone quicker than I could start but the agent was having a laugh!

Comment

Reading this thread I've just realised Hoaxley don't call any more. I wonder if it's something I said?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Reading this thread I've just realised Hoaxley don't call any more. I wonder if it's something I said?
                Consider that a bonus.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                X