• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Heating / Power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Heating / Power

Anyone got this gubbins on their roofs?
    The thought of not using gas to heat water in the summer is attractive - thinking about building the collector myself (cheapskate & I need a project to do at home ) and enough info on t'internat to avoid the pitfalls

or should I just spend the 20k and get someone in to do it?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Why not look into ways of simply harnessing some of the hot air that you produce as a matter of course?

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Nope. Looked at them but a waste of money IMO. I think the only way solar panels is going to take off is if all new builds from now on have to install them and that would take a generation to happen.

Spent our eco budget instead on a new boiler with the hot water tank inside it rather than in another part of the house. It has noticeably helped to reduce our heating bills this year.

Comment

my in laws got some a few years ago

they expect to breakeven after about 15 years assuming no major change in number of sunlight hours over the course of a year.

makes them feel green n groovy.

Comment

I thought they only lasted for about 17 - 23 years.....
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Anyone got this gubbins on their roofs?
            The thought of not using gas to heat water in the summer is attractive - thinking about building the collector myself (cheapskate & I need a project to do at home ) and enough info on t'internat to avoid the pitfalls

or should I just spend the 20k and get someone in to do it?

I think they are too costly. I would like give DIY a go using some pipes, aluminium sheet black paint, Perspex and a heat pump a go.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Buy Solfex CPC 6 INOX 4 PANEL Domestic Hot Water Solar Kits Online DSK05926

Don't forget the ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I think they are too costly. I would like give DIY a go using some pipes, aluminium sheet black paint, Perspex and a heat pump a go.
                I'd prefer boring technology of radiators and pipes too, you can even dispense with the heat pump. Solar panels don't convince me.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I'd prefer boring technology..
                  Zzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

... And I never understand this rubbish about turning room thermostats down a few degrees. Most boilers run at 72-80degs and water tanks at 60+degs and they never tell you to turn those down. Most systems (in our house anyway) except in the harsher winters can run quite adequately nearer 50-55degs which if you do you the specific heat capacity maths is a colossal energy saving.

Comment

Working...
                    X