• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fighting Fatigue?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting Fatigue?

For those of you commuting daily and/or putting in long hours, how do you combat the inevitable tiredness? I am back to commuting (via car) and want to try to avoid falling asleep on the M6.

Stimulants such as coffee are an obvious choice, but do you change what/how you eat, or your lifestyle, to accommodate the hours lost getting up early and driving long distances?

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    For those of you commuting daily and/or putting in long hours, how do you combat the inevitable tiredness? I am back to commuting (via car) and want to try to avoid falling asleep on the M6.

Stimulants such as coffee are an obvious choice, but do you change what/how you eat, or your lifestyle, to accommodate the hours lost getting up early and driving long distances?

Change your state of mind.

Comment

A change is as good as anything, do something different one evening different from the norm

1) Take a holiday

b) Eating salads for lunch does help, avoid hot foods.

3) Get a job closer to home or move closer to your job.

43) Better still tell your client how you're being affected negotiate a flexible working week.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Care to elaborate on that? (OracleSlave)
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          A change is as good as anything, do something different one evening different from the norm

1) Take a holiday

b) Eating salads for lunch does help, avoid hot foods.

3) Get a job closer to home or move closer to your job.

43) Better still tell your client how you're being affected negotiate a flexible working week.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            Eating your main meal at lunch and ensuring you're relaxed enough to get a good nights sleep (if babyson allows).

It does take a bit of getting used to.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Get ready the night before so you can leave at the last minute. East breakfast at work.
              Lunchtime snooze in the car. No large lunches and no pub visits. Buy a comfortable car to drive with a/c. Masturbate in the loo at client co.
              Last edited by Paddy; 7 September 2010, 11:14.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I fell asleep at my desk last week and when I woke up I could not move my body. Lasted for about 10 seconds.

Professional or what?

Comment

For those of you commuting daily and/or putting in long hours, how do you combat the inevitable tiredness?
                  Methamphetamine
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I just did this last week.
                    Reduced my time by 1/2 a day a week and do the other 1/2 of that day from home - 1 days less commuting and more free time.

As Dale Carnegie would say "appeal to the nobler motive". I sold it on the basis that the contract didn't require 5 days a week so the 1/2 day less wouldn't cause them any pain - only savings. I also said if necessary, I would come into the office on my 1/2 day and just work a regular full day.
                    Flexibility works both ways.

Did my first day last week - was great. Felt like I had 2 weekends and got more done in my half day from home than I would have in the office.
                    As I start to deliver more of the project I hope to extend this arrangement.

Another tip -
                    i) Try another route to work occasionally

Al.
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                    X