• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's been raining aliens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been raining aliens

From July 25 to September 23, 2001, red rain sporadically fell on the southern Indian state of Kerala. (wikipedia entry)

Louis Godfrey analysed the rain that fell and observed that "no evidence of sand or dust. Instead, the rain water was filled with red cells that look remarkably like conventional bugs on Earth. What was strange was that Louis found no evidence of DNA in these cells which would rule out most kinds of known biological cells"

He published this in 2006 to the peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics and Space.

His latest submission on 29 Aug 2010 furthers his previous observations in that "the cells clearly reproduce at a temperature of 121 degrees C. "Under these conditions daughter cells appear within the original mother cells and the number of cells in the samples increases with length of exposure to 121 degrees C," they say. By contrast, the cells are inert at room temperature.

That makes them highly unusual, to say the least. The spores of some extremophiles can survive these kinds of temperatures and then reproduce at lower temperatures but nothing behaves like this at these temperatures, as far as we know."

In short, something looking like red rain fell in India in 2001, this "stuff" lacks DNA yet still reproduce plentifully which goes against life as we know it now.

Has alien life been found?
    Last edited by chef; 7 September 2010, 12:34.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Well it's obviously a lot of old cobblers, but I think we should reserve judgement until our resident aliens have commented.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Well it's obviously a lot of old cobblers, but I think we should reserve judgement until our resident aliens have commented.
      it was published in 'Astrophysics and Space' peer reviewed academic journal, that holds a bit more weight to the claims than the daily wail or the mirror surely? I'm not saying it should be universally accepted but give it the credit due given the article's source

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        it was published in 'Astrophysics and Space' peer reviewed academic journal, that holds a bit more weight to the claims than the daily wail or the mirror surely? I'm not saying it should be universally accepted but give it the credit due given the article's source
        I wasn't aiming that at you Chef!

It's just that there have been many strange papers published in respectable journals, and this one has the smell of a rat about it.

Of course I might be wrong and the Andromeda Strain might be here, waiting for the right moment...

Comment

It's just that there have been many strange papers published in respectable journals, and this one has the smell of a rat about it.

Of course I might be wrong and the Andromeda Strain might be here, waiting for the right moment...
          Jeezus..............even the aliens are outsourcing to India.
          This makes me sad!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

no offence taken

agreed, but still interesting to note that even if it isn't "alien life" then it's furthered science in the way that it can reproduce with DNA and it came in the form of rain in the sky rather than being found in the depths of the ocean or a cave etc.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            This makes me sad!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              This makes me sad!

But isn't it the other way round? India hiring immigrants?

Comment

Has Alien life been found? I doubt it.

The key is in the statement "as far as we know."

There is much we don't know about planet Earth, however arrogantly the antithesis is assumed and proselytised by some members of the scientific community. This could quite easily be an as far undiscovered bacterial or simple cell life produced at sub sea hydrothermal vents that does not have the same dependence upon sunlight as surface life does - having then been forced up to the surface via deep water currents. It still doesn't explain how it got into the rain column though so I'll leave that to the arrogant proselytisers.

And anyway... "the chances of anything coming from Mars is a million to one" he said.

But still, they come.
                Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

If that stuff is alien spunk, we're ****ed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    If that stuff is alien spunk, we're ****ed!
                    Like body-snatchers you mean? That means that some of those who walk among us are... different.

Comment

Working...
                    X