• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Doodle Bouncing Balls & HTML5

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Doodle Bouncing Balls & HTML5

You might have noticed Google's uk and de homepages (but not .com) have some balls that seem to be on some sort of invisible elastic and for once you can't click on what they are celebrating..

I've been doing some digging around and it seems that there are several theories out there, including

1) 7th Sept used to be Google's birthday up until 2005 then they celebrated Sept 27th as their anniversary date, so perhaps this is related to that
    2) Google is holding a press conference at San Francisco’s Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) tomorrow (September 8th) and the HTML5 war is expected to be furthered with Google Chrome announcements

This got me thinking about HTML5 and what exactly is it and what does it bring?
    quite a good pictoral description is here:

The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

a pretty cool website demo'ing HTML5 is The Arcade Fire website here (google chrome viewing advised), you can play with the birds

Comment

Oo! If you get the right number of google balls to bounce awa... on Twitpic

Comment

Nationwide Internet Banking does not work if you have Chrome installed - as I found out at the weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          Nationwide Internet Banking does not work if you have Chrome installed - as I found out at the weekend...
          Nationwide Internet Banking doesn't work cos it's a big pile of tulipE!!

I like the Google balls today
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The bouncing logo isn't using HTML5 at all. It's plain old HTML 4.01 <div> elements. It uses CSS3's border-radius to make them round. The rest is just some JavaScript. In fact, it would even work in IE6 if they used some IE-specific technique to make them round (or just left them square).

EDIT: Christian Heilmann (of Yahoo!) has a decent analysis on his blog, including a formatted copy of the JS code.
            Last edited by NickFitz; 7 September 2010, 13:47. Reason: Link to codepo8

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              More importantly are we all aware nationwide is stopping free currency transactions?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                The bouncing logo isn't using HTML5 at all. It's plain old HTML 4.01 <div> elements. It uses CSS3's border-radius to make them round. The rest is just some JavaScript. In fact, it would even work in IE6 if they used some IE-specific technique to make them round (or just left them square).

EDIT: Christian Heilmann (of Yahoo!) has a decent analysis on his blog, including a formatted copy of the JS code.
                haha my chimp friend you misunderstand, I didn't actually say that the balls were HTML5, what I meant was that the balls are there as a marketing strategy to get people talking (which seems to have worked) and that this is a pre-cursor to the Google Conference tomorrow at which they are expected to announce HTML5/Google Chrome related stuff. The HTML5 part was merely a follow on train of thought of my conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab
                  Does it work in IE6?
                  no, not on my machine atleast, IEv6.0.2900.5512

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    haha my chimp friend you misunderstand, I didn't actually say that the balls were HTML5, what I meant was that the balls are there as a marketing strategy to get people talking (which seems to have worked) and that this is a pre-cursor to the Google Conference tomorrow at which they are expected to announce HTML5/Google Chrome related stuff. The HTML5 part was merely a follow on train of thought of my conscience.
                    Not 100% convinced, but more interestingly:

'Larry and Sergey's HTML5 balls drained my resources'

Everyone seems to think it is HTML5, on an IT site you'd have thought someone would have checked how it worked...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X