• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport renewal

Passport has a few months left on it so have started to look into renewing it in advance of any travel.

Looking at the Direct Gov website, apart from the high fee of renewal, chuckled at the below regarding countersignatories.

What world do the passport service live in bearing in mind nowadays, bank staff, accountants and company directors are regularly done for stealing from customers/clients/Hector and members of Parliament have been on the fiddle.

Noticed there is no mention of church leader or similar - probably got bumped off the list to make way for the licensee of public house!

Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. The list that follows gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable.

Accountant
    Airline pilot
    Articled clerk of a limited company
    Assurance agent of recognised company
    Bank/building society official
    Barrister
    Chairman/director of limited company
    Chiropodist
    Commissioner of oaths
    Councillor (local or county)
    Civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
    Dentist
    Director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
    Director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
    Engineer (with professional qualifications)
    Financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
    Fire service official
    Funeral director
    Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
    Journalist
    Justice of the Peace
    Legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
    Licensee of public house
    Local government officer
    Manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
    Member, associate or fellow of a professional body
    Member of Parliament
    Merchant Navy officer
    Minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
    Nurse (RGN and RMN)
    Officer of the armed services (active or retired)
    Optician
    Paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
    Person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
    Pharmacist
    Photographer (professional)
    Police officer
    Post Office official
    President/secretary of a recognised organisation
    Salvation Army officer
    Social worker
    Solicitor
    Surveyor
    Teacher, lecturer
    Trade union officer
    Travel agent (qualified)
    Valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
    Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Member of Parliament

Comment

Had same tulip when I was getting my first passport - programmers were not in the list, this is totally stupid reference system, why on earth would bank manager or doctor take risks by vouching for someone, in fact WTF is it even necessary - passport is not citizenship, it's just a travel document.

Also in my passport app they asked for addresses of my grandmothers FFS!

Comment

Minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)

Comment

Bank/building society official

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Am I being fick like normal, but I don't see doctor (i.e. your GP) on that list.

I'm sure that I got mine to do my last passport.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Am I being fick like normal, but I don't see doctor (i.e. your GP) on that list.

I'm sure that I got mine to do my last passport.
              I got a vet to sign my last one and that's not on the list either.

But then, I'm a country bumpkin.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company

I'm a reputable member of society - must tell my mother I've made it!

Comment

How the frack do Journalists and photographers make it on to the list?
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X