• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Four million households where no adults work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Four million households where no adults work

Four million households where no adults work - Telegraph

Four million households where no adults work

'The statistical bulletin published on Wednesday, based on the Labour Force Survey, shows that between April and June 2010, there were 3.9m households in Britain where no one was working – 19.2 per cent of the total population. '

this is not something to be proud of.

I have long argued, it would be cheaper for the country as a whole to have subsidised coal and motor and ship building industry and keep people in work, than have generations with no job.

Work brings pride, generations without a job or possibility of a job is a self perpetuating cycle.

Had the subsidised industries been in place, Britain would be coming out of the crisis faster on the back of the lower pound and strong manufacturing.

You see folks, industry and manufacturing are the foundation blocks of a solid economy.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Four million households where no adults work - Telegraph

I have long argued, it would be cheaper for the country as a whole to have subsidised coal and motor and ship building industry and keep people in work, than have generations with no job.
    Totally agree, I can't believe the Indian railways really need 1.6 million employees. Do our railway networks and franchises have 1 employee for every 12 passengers?

The flaw in Thatchers logic was everything had to make money regardless of the knock on effect.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Totally agree, I can't believe the Indian railways really need 1.6 million employees. Do our railway networks and franchises have 1 employee for every 12 passengers?
      Indian railways don't just carry passengers, but freight too; that's probably where they make a lot of money.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Had the subsidised industries been in place, Britain would be coming out of the crisis faster on the back of the lower pound and strong manufacturing.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

umm,

so how you explain Germany ?

Milan.

Comment

Or explain the French having a thriving motor industry with Citroen, Renault, Peugeot all making good products and employing lots of French people.

If Thatcher had lived in France, we'd still be making our own cars and the French would all be jobless chavs.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

umm,

so how you explain Germany ?

Milan.
              It's full of Germans. They're good at all that industrial stuff.

Why do the Swiss Railways work so well? Because they're run by the Swiss.

Why is the food in Italy so good? Because it's cooked by Italians.

Why is Sweden so peaceful? Because it's full of randy blondes.

This is the way it is, and you can't change it. At least, not quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                From my detailed observations of "Wallender", it's also stuffed to the gunwhales with psycho killers.
                That's a fantasy world where they try to look more interesting than they really are. Either that, or it's written by the one guy in Sweden who couldn't get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  From my detailed observations of "Wallender", it's also stuffed to the gunwhales with psycho killers.
                  By the same token it's many years since I watched Heartbeat, but I'm sure that if you looked at the crime statistics for the era, a disturbingly high proportion of them were committed in or around Aidensfield.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 9 September 2010, 08:43. Reason: thpelling
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    By the same toen it's many years since I watched Heartbeat, but I'm sure that if you looked at the crime statistics for the era, a disturbingly high proportion of them were committed in or around Aidensfield.
                    And that "Midsomer" place is a real anomaly!!!
                    Population of a few dozen and a murder every week? They should call it "Lewisham"!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X