• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone hear....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone hear....

....the anonymous HMRC tax officer on Radio 4 this morning? No link I can find, I'm afraid.

She was talking about the awful state of the departments (i.e. severe lack of resourcing and process), and how there is estimated to be £30 to £40 billion of taxes remaining uncollected.

She also expressed surprise at the relatively 'low' numbers of people estimated to be receiving letters notifying them of under/overpaid PAYE.

Nothing we hadn't already guessed, but very depressing the hear the grim reality of the state HMRC is in.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    ....the anonymous HMRC tax officer on Radio 4 this morning? No link I can find, I'm afraid.

She was talking about the awful state of the departments (i.e. severe lack of resourcing and process), and how there is estimated to be £30 to £40 billion of taxes remaining uncollected.

She also expressed surprise at the relatively 'low' numbers of people estimated to be receiving letters notifying them of under/overpaid PAYE.

Nothing we hadn't already guessed, but very depressing the hear the grim reality of the state HMRC is in.
    As I have said before. Sack the lot of 'em. Start again.

Comment

I do hope you meant million and not billion.

Comment

now if there's an organisation ripe for privatisation it's hmrc

privatise them, get them on the stock exchange

give them targets

get them on a commission structure

sorteed

everyone can buy shares in them

pay your taxes and hmrc plc does well and you get a divvy payment :-)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          I do hope you meant million and not billion.

Nope, billion. Seriously. She mentioned some report or other that had detailed that.

She was saying that in all offices they are incredibly overstretched, and have been provided with a computer system that doesn't meet requirements.

That doesn't explain why some HMRC representatives are such rude individuals, but I guess you get that everywhere. The sheer volume of cases outstanding surely can't be resolved in this lifetime - meaning there continue to be people missing out on what's owed back to them in taxes, and people continuing to get away with not paying the correct amount of tax.

As I've recently learned since working with HMRC, a disconnect between the various revenue systems means that even if they were to become properly resourced, the processes are badly flawed.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            As I have said before. Sack the lot of 'em. Start again.

You're half right.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Gordon has made it too complicated. I'm not sure anyone knows what their correct amount of tax is any more.

Comment

As I've recently learned since working with HMRC, a disconnect between the various revenue systems means that even if they were to become properly resourced, the processes are badly flawed.
                Sniff.

I smell the putrid stench of G Brown's 10 year overcomplication of the tax system.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

do hope you meant million and not billion.
                  Million? Do me a favour - They could find that down the back of the Treasury sofas.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

....the anonymous HMRC tax officer on Radio 4 this morning?
                    yup. a million unopened pieces of mail. how do they know?

Comment

Working...
                    X