• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone suffered/suffering burnout?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone suffered/suffering burnout?

I've been doing various front/middle/back office gigs commuting in/out of London for the last 8 years. Most recent gig finished last month, and I can't really be arsed to do it anymore. Have a decent warchest, can't really bog off travelling though as I have to live life around the school timetables now. What have other people done after exiting London? Just curious, my mind is an utter blank!

Originally posted by mindthegap View Post
    I've been doing various front/middle/back office gigs commuting in/out of London for the last 8 years. Most recent gig finished last month, and I can't really be arsed to do it anymore. Have a decent warchest, can't really bog off travelling though as I have to live life around the school timetables now. What have other people done after exiting London? Just curious, my mind is an utter blank!

I had a couple of years off which allowed me to de-stress, then just getting back into it. When you are 100% you mind either goes 100 miles a second or goes numb.

Hope it works out.

Comment

What have other people done after exiting London? Just curious, my mind is an utter blank!
      So it sounds like you have school age kids. Have you considered volunteering to do some work at the school for a bit? At least it's going to be an easy commute and you will get a warm feeling for having done some good for the community.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life"
        Which is actually a load of old bollox. Take some time out then look for a gig nearer home, even if it is on less money for a while. The extra time you get to spend with your kids will be priceless. If you feel you must, try London again when you have your appetite back.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Is there anything that you really want to do? Learn a language, how to cook? Do a plumbing/sparkies course?

If you're off your regular work, you still need some goals and daily structure.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I took a year out a while back for the same reasons and I did quite a lot of travelling when sailling, climbing and diving.

Most rewarding of all though was working as a volunteer teacher, teaching basic computing and basic maths and english skills to people who hadn't done very well at school, and also to middle aged / old people trying to get to grips with email and the web and stuff. I was shocked to find out though just how many 20+ year olds couldn't even do the basic maths operations or recite simple muliplication tables. Very sad.

In the end though, the support costs behind the volunteer program were cut when Nu Labour had had its "media moment" and that tells you everything you need to know about our previous G'mnt.
            Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

mate of mine is a carpenter and he took some time out and went out to the Africa somwhere and was building a wendy house for a village school, a bit more satisfying than fitting B and Q kitchens

Take your skills and do somehting usefull for some under-privileged people, it might put things into perspective

Comment

I had a near burn out years ago. As a result I moved from IT to being a user. Would you believe that being a trader is less stressful than IT! However, the rot had set in and I’ve had various stages of poor health ever since (just got over a dodgy period recently).

These days I try not to give a frack about anything. I fail on a daily basis, but it a state that I should aspire to. It’s all a bit Zen.

If I was to do something outside computers or being a speckulant, I’d like to make thing that people could enjoy consuming. I’d like to be a winemaker, brewer, maybe a baker. Not a chief or cook though.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You can sometimes do stupid things when you are stressed and don't realise.

I now cycle every weekend. I find that relaxing.

Do you have any hobbies?

Comment

I've been near it when off contract, due to sheer frustration of dealing with idiot pimps who don't know where London is.
                    On contract at least one can delegate or otherwise share the load.

Comment

Working...
                    X