• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would it bother you if someone burnt your national flag?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it bother you if someone burnt your national flag?

It wouldn’t bother me. I think it’s rather childish, and very irresponsible to start fires in public places, but I actually don’t care. Maybe because I’m not a very nationalist person, but I couldn’t really give a stuff. I wouldn’t do it myself because I don’t like causing offence unnecessarily, but I really can’t get wound up about some rent-a-mob setting fire to a flag, as long as they don’t cause fire damage to my or other people’s property.

Do you care? If so, why?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I think it depends. If there was a bonfire and someone chucked an old flag on it, that wouldn't bother me at all. If a group set out to make a big thing about it, I'd assume it was done through hatred, and that would be a bit sad. Can't say I'd lose any sleep over it though.

Comment

To be fair it's only symbollic. Flag burning is only done by those who aren't backed up with a state of the art Army, Navy & Airforce and an arsenal of nuclear weapons.

It's like ants trying to piss off an elephant
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I could never get as upset about it as the Yanks seem to do, but then their flag is an important part of their culture, seen in classrooms etc.

Both the English Flag and the Union Jack have been somewhat hijacked by right wing nutters so that has diminished its importance for me.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm a bit nationalistic, but I don't give a fig. Those middle-eastern types are always burning flags for this and that, it's the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I'm a bit nationalistic, but I don't give a fig. Those middle-eastern types are always burning flags for this and that, it's the way they are.
            Yep, all rather puerile, as is setting fire to Korans.

But what's the betting that something kicks off tomorrow? What with all the silly demonstrations and moaning and setting fire to stuff by people who should surely be able to think of something better to do, I guess there's a fair chance something will turn nasty tomorrow.

Comment

Nope. Actually, I am very tempted to set fire to one Union Jack, that disgusting tatty old thing that neighbour MR PIKEY SCUM has in his front garden. You would think if someone goes to the trouble of putting a full size flagpole in their front garden they would buy a decent flag to go on it.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Even if you didn't think the flag was important in itself, if someone did it specifically to upset you, wouldn't the sentiment be more important than the action?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Would bother me - I think it's quite rude.

You should be proud of your country and your flag.

People in this country have no pride in their country, flag or culture, which is a shame

Yes, sometimes the knobends take over the flag, like the rightwing nutters in this country and the hooligans etc.. but really the masses should take it back.

At home, loads of people have either their county flag or the national flag hanging someplace and it's a pride thing, not a sectarian or anything else thing.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Even if you didn't think the flag was important in itself, if someone did it specifically to upset you, wouldn't the sentiment be more important than the action?
                    Not really; I'm not easily offended. I know that some people probably hate me simply because I'm English, others because I'm not of their social class, others because I don't share their faith, others because I don't share their political views. That's their problem; I have better things to do with my life than go around hating people or setting fire to symbols other people seem to care about, even if I find their caring irrational.

Comment

Working...
                    X