• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where were you 9/11 2001?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where were you 9/11 2001?

I was in Moscow about to fly on Sibair to Tomsk. The FX Bureaux stopped accepting USD as if may collapse. I then drew out the maximum from the bank, and went to Domodedovo by privale car. Some BP staff commented "the world will never be the same after today"
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Was in a doomed US telco in Glasgow, listening to Radio Scotland, the news came on and I went across to someone and mentioned that a plane had hit the twin towers, I thought it was just a light plane.

Went out for a sarnie and by the time I got to the shop they were saying that the second one had hit so walked to my flat and watched it. I returned to work and everyone was in the board room watching the pictures as someone held an cheap aerial out the window.

Next day we all got sacked.

Comment

I was working in an office in London. We were aware of a plane hijack and there was some noise about multiple planes.

The guy next to me(an American) received a phone call from his wife. All I could hear was her hysterical screaming down the phone. He just said 'Someone's attacking the US' and ran out.

I then went to the pub next door to watch the TV.

Turned out her brother worked in one of the Towers.

It makes me choke when I think back of the moment I could hear her screaming.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Milton Keynes

Just prior to everyone squeezing into an office with a telly to watch the news we were looking through a chaps holiday photos from the week before.

He was in New York and they included the obvious Twin Towers snaps......... we all felt a shiver run down our spine. The lad who had been there the week before went pale as a sheet.

But on a lighter note... Its not F*king 9/11 it is 11/9 I will not bow to the stupid septics who can't spell, talk or even write dates proper like wot I do!!!

Comment

I had just returned from a holiday / business trip to the Caribbean. I was in my office in the West End with CNBC on when Mark Haines said, there are reports coming in of a plane crash in New York. The originally thought it was a light air craft. They got some live video of the towers on air. Then Mr Haines said, “I don’t know about you, but that looks like a hole in that building.......”

I had an appointment with my solicitor so I missed the first part. After that I went over to one of my clients (a large IB) and the place was dumb struck. Telephones and internet ground to a halt. People were watching the telly. Loads of people were saying that they were talking to someone in the US and that everything just got cut off.

At the end of the day I went to the pub with a few and all we could think was who did we know that might be dead right now. Every one of us thought, “It could have been me”.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            Milton Keynes

Just prior to everyone squeezing into an office with a telly to watch the news we were looking through a chaps holiday photos from the week before.

He was in New York and they included the obvious Twin Towers snaps......... we all felt a shiver run down our spine. The lad who had been there the week before went pale as a sheet.

But on a lighter note... Its not F*king 9/11 it is 11/9 I will not bow to the stupid septics who can't spell, talk or even write dates proper like wot I do!!!
            We should be using ISO 8601, Year,month,day.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

On a bus in Morocco travelling from Tangier to Chefchaouen.

We spent the day walking round the old medina in Chefchaouen, completely oblivious to the news until we picked it up on the World Service the following evening (the 12th). Didn't see any TV footage until we were back in the UK a week later.

Comment

On the bench (dot com boom had fizzled out), was checking my e-mail for jobs when I spotted the news headlines.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Walking around the shops in the sticks, the saleswoman in one of the shops said look at the television in the pub across the lane, saying there had been some kind of accident in New York.

Went home and watched what we thought was the end of the world on TV.

Co-incidently was offered a contract in the city and one in the sticks early that day had accepted the one in the sticks only because it was six months not three.

Comment

At work in a university and chatting online to some friends when one of them mentioned it. Flicked over to the BBC and watched it as the footage came online.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X