• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax inspectors get police-like powers to tackle tax evaders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax inspectors get police-like powers to tackle tax evaders

Sminki: Telegraph

The inspectors can now turn up at people’s homes or businesses unannounced and examine their records if they believe not enough tax has been paid.

Gary Ashford, head of tax risk, disputes and investigations at accountancy firm RSM Tenon, said that the powers under civil law made them inspectors more powerful than the police. So far hundreds of people are thought to have been subject to the intrusive unannounced checks.

The powers are likely to be targeted at people who run businesses, but can also be targeted at anyone who works from home or has a portfolio of rental properties through buy-to-let mortgages.

Mr Ashford said: "It is not about avoidance or evasion, it is if a tax inspector wants to satisfy himself if someone is paying the right tax. It can be a business or individual – any taxpayer.
    This is just the kick in the arse that I need to motivate myself to get things in order and out of the country.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Step 1: bring all nationalised banks into HMRC

Step 2: ban any UK taxpayer (including businesses) from having any bank account other that of HRMC

Step 3: all payments to person outside of that bank account will be deemed tax evasion punishable by 20 years in jail or whatever waiting period it takes to approve a sockie on CUK these days, whichever is longer.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Step 1: bring all nationalised banks into HMRC

Step 2: ban any UK taxpayer (including businesses) from having any bank account other that of HRMC

Step 3: all payments to person outside of that bank account will be deemed tax evasion punishable by 20 years in jail or whatever waiting period it takes to approve a sockie on CUK these days, whichever is longer.

Simples.
      Phew, that's OK. None of it applies to me.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

“Unannounced visits, which are the exception, are only made where pre-arranging the visit would undermine the purpose of the inspection and are targeted at serious fraud.”
        While I hate to believe HMRC on principle I suspect that is fairly accurate. It would not be cost effective to make unnanounced visits to small companies over smallish amounts on a routine basis. While companies are obliged to keep certain records that doesn't mean they have to keep them tidily and available for instant access. Inspectors would be hanging around for ages while people dug things out.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Phew, that's OK. None of it applies to me.
          Only until change in the law that like USA any UK subject is deemed UK Taxpayer regardless where they are

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Only until change in the law that like USA any UK subject is deemed UK Taxpayer regardless where they are
            It's near enough like that now.

However, I have a cunning plan.......

Comment

Working...
            X