• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PRS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRS

Anyone else ever receive a letter from the Performing Right Society?

They must trawl the Companies House db or something to obtain contact details and then mass mail people getting them to fork out money.

Wonder how successful this approach is?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Anyone else ever receive a letter from the Performing Right Society?

They must trawl the Companies House db or something to obtain contact details and then mass mail people getting them to fork out money.

Wonder how successful this approach is?
    I get my royalty payments regularly
    Me, me, me...

Comment

What does the letter say?

I reckon it's a fishing expedition - trawling for businesses that use music, but don't pay.

Once they have evidence that you are using music (having the radio on - music played on phone switchboard) and not paying, their teeth can be pretty sharp.

Comment

I did look at the link but not sure if it's the same thing.

Everytime I have opened up a shop, some company sends me a letter asking for a Public Performance License. It's almost £200 per year.

So if you have the radio on, cd etc etc they want paying otherwise they take you to court. Really pisses me off.

They cover something like 99% of all music I believe. Anyway there is a company called Global Journey that makes it's own music range. They effectively market themselves outside of a PPL.

I spent £50 with them and bought a load of music CDs which I 'play'. Everytime I get a letter or have to respond, I tell them straight who I use and tell them I don't need it.

7 Years never had to pay for it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
        X