• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas homebrew thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas homebrew thread

I started brewing for Christmas last weekend. First batch is a Deuchars IPA equivalent.

Deuchars IPA (28L)

(Mash at 66 degrees for 90 mins then sparge)
    4900g Golden Promise
    250g Wheat Malt

Then boil the following
    16g Aurora
    16g Fuggles
    20g Styrian Goldings (all 60 min boil)

Then boil
    26g Williamette
    82g Styrian Goldings (15 min boil)

I used Nottingham yeast.

I spoke with OwlHoot at the ship and shovel about home brewing, but if anyone was considering it, it really isn't that hard to do. PM me with questions if genuinely interested.

Wheat beer next, yum. (Beer kit, not full mash)

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Suityou. For once. Good idea.

I'll add that to the list.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I hae no idea what SY is talking about but I'm going to pinch that beer-swilling smiley.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        I hae no idea what SY is talking about but I'm going to pinch that beer-swilling smiley.
        It's a good smiley, but to be fair compared to you, it's sipping that pint.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          It's a good smiley, but to be fair compared to you, it's sipping that pint.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Basically ....

You need one of these (mashing tun and boiler)

Fill with 20 litres of water.

Then fill your sparge bag with the grain

Pop this into the water (@66 degrees)

You'll need a thermometer (jam making one will do nicely)

Keep it at 66 degrees for 90 minutes then sparge.

Sparging is the process of jugging some of the wort (water now brown with the mashed grain in it) over the grain. This should be done lots and lots. This extracts the remaining sugar from the barley.

Then remove the sparge bag and do the boil as prescribed above.

Takes all afternoon but is a lot of fun.

Then allow the wort to cool, transport to a fermenting bin and add the yeast.

4-5 days later, bottle it (adding 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle first) and then apply the crown caps to the bottles using a "crown corker"

Leave the bottles out of direct sunlight but in the warm for a couple of days. Then put them into longer term storage (garage, shed, loft) and whip them out 3 months later for the best part

Comment

I started doing it in 2009 when benched. Went straight into all-grain brewing because I'm a bit of a real ale nut.
              The most challenging bit for me was building my brewery. Was proper mans work - drills / hole saws, hack saws, black and decker workmate, welding copper pipes with a blow torch, wiring circuits, etc.

Hot liqor tank / Boiler - 60L food grade plastic bin modified 2 kettle elements for heat, ball valve tap and hop strainer made from copper pipe with small holes drilled out.
              Mash tun - old cool box with a ball valve tap connected and grain filter made from copper pipe joints and holes cut for optimum syphon effect.
              Temperature controlled fermentation cupboard - old chest freezer connected to a thermostat circuit which cools when too hot and heats when too cold by the use of a household light bulb
              Copper Immersion cooler for cooling wort - micro bore copper pipe coiled and connected to outdoor garden tap via hose.
              Various 25L fermentation bins, and a 33L bin for general purpose transfer of liquid.
              Lots of syphon tube, and various brewing odds and sods.
              oh, and 1 tub of vaseline

I've probably done about 6 or 7 brews so far, and have made loads of little mistakes but keep learning from them. So far (touch wood) I've not lost a brew.

The worst bit for me is the weeks and weeks of waiting before you can drink the stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I started doing it in 2009 when benched. Went straight into all-grain brewing because I'm a bit of a real ale nut.
                The most challenging bit for me was building my brewery. Was proper mans work - drills / hole saws, hack saws, black and decker workmate, welding copper pipes with a blow torch, wiring circuits, etc.

Hot liqor tank / Boiler - 60L food grade plastic bin modified 2 kettle elements for heat, ball valve tap and hop strainer made from copper pipe with small holes drilled out.
                Mash tun - old cool box with a ball valve tap connected and grain filter made from copper pipe joints and holes cut for optimum syphon effect.
                Temperature controlled fermentation cupboard - old chest freezer connected to a thermostat circuit which cools when too hot and heats when too cold by the use of a household light bulb
                Copper Immersion cooler for cooling wort - micro bore copper pipe coiled and connected to outdoor garden tap via hose.
                Various 25L fermentation bins, and a 33L bin for general purpose transfer of liquid.
                Lots of syphon tube, and various brewing odds and sods.
                oh, and 1 tub of vaseline

I've probably done about 6 or 7 brews so far, and have made loads of little mistakes but keep learning from them. So far (touch wood) I've not lost a brew.

The worst bit for me is the weeks and weeks of waiting before you can drink the stuff!
                Wild thang, I think I luuuuuuuuurve you.

Comment

I thought you'd fooked off
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                    I thought you'd fooked off
                    More Comebacks than Liberace this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X