• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England's no more.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England's no more.

Travelling along a leafy street today, I realised that the natural beauty of England is still around us. However most things (to me) have gotten worse over the years. Most young people don't perceive much opportunity - remember that most people are not highly-paid (or even lowly-paid) contractors - their jobs are either outsourced or Bobs or Pieters brought in to do their work. Music seems to be in a race to produce the most vicious violent garbage, and even the telly is full of soaps, reality shows, and lack-of-talent contests. As for sport - well enough said. Apart from inane chatter on the internet, the only real improvement I can see is the ability to watch decent films as and when you choose. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, I don't claim to get everything (or even most things) right...
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Says more about your newspaper reading habits than the state of the nation IMO.

We are the angry mob
    We read the papers everyday day
    We like who like
    We hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you have a spare couple of hours, read "The Beggar's Opera".

Or if you have a spare 5 minutes, listen to YouTube - The Unthanks perform The Testimony of Patience Kershaw

Things now are humungously better than they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        If you have a spare couple of hours, read "The Beggar's Opera".

Or if you have a spare 5 minutes, listen to YouTube - The Unthanks perform The Testimony of Patience Kershaw

Things now are humungously better than they used to be.
        Sorry, but I'm old enough to remember the 60s,70s There may be more people able to eat take-aways, or even own a tv or car, but the hope of a decent stable job for large sections of the population has disappeared. Watch the crime levels rocket (despite all the cctvs, increase in technology etc)
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Sorry, but I'm old enough to remember the 60s,70s There may be more people able to eat take-aways, or even own a tv or car, but the hope of a decent stable job for large sections of the population has disappeared. Watch the crime levels rocket (despite all the cctvs, increase in technology etc)
          You do know that Intolerance is the first sign of old age?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            You do know that Intolerance is the first sign of old age?

You know, I knew I'd forgotten something...

Comment

You know, I knew I'd forgotten something...
              Me, me, me...

Comment

the hope of a decent stable job for large sections of the population has disappeared.
                It has increased in others. If you were female or black or Irish in the 60s or 70s your chances of a decent job would have been small.

I am not quite that old, but am old enough to remember the early 80s and mostly remember being scared witless when Protect and Survive popped through the letterbox.

Comment

It has increased in others. If you were female or black or Irish in the 60s or 70s your chances of a decent job would have been small.

I am not quite that old, but am old enough to remember the early 80s and mostly remember being scared witless when Protect and Survive popped through the letterbox.
                  Didn't Maggie (rumoured to be a woman) become PM in 79? I accept your point about blacks finding it difficult, but women started entering the workforce in large numbers from the 60s. Equal pay was a little harder though (I believe there's a film out soon that covers this issue)

Comment

Crouching under the kitchen table draped in a white sheet.

Comment

Working...
                    X