• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from Under the Brolly Vol. XXXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from Under the Brolly Vol. XXXVII

Another rainy day, another reason to curl up in front of the fire and read assorted nonsense:
    • Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - " If you like soft bacon, make it soft. If you like crunchy bacon, make it crunchy. If you like your bacon burnt to hell so the smoke detectors go off, then burn it to hell so the smoke detectors go off. These pieces are going to be a major part of the inner flavor of our sausage fatty, so cook them your favorite way." Maybe a bit late for BBQ recipes but, if there's an Indian summer, you'll want to give this a try. Don't forget to schedule your angioplasty too.

• The time-travel ad - You must have seen this classified ad cutting before:

Here, John Silveira reveals how he came to create the ad in the first place - and describes the numerous replies he has received.

• The Kid Who Sold Crack to the President - "In 1989 the White House came up with the idea of having George H.W. Bush hold up a bag of crack on national television in order to illustrate how bad the US drug problem had gotten. They decided to have a drug buy set up in Lafayette Park, directly across the street from the White House, to obtain the props for his speech. They contacted a DEA agent who set up a drug buy with a Spingarn High School senior with no prior arrest record, but things didn't go as planned..." Excellent summary and roundup of links by MeFi user Challahtronix.

• If sports got reported like science.. - "Nobody without a PhD in football's going to understand that. Who wrote this crap? It's elitist rubbish, people will just turn off when they hear it. 'Late equaliser'? 'Offside'? We've got to get this rewritten so it's more accessible." Amusing satire by Mike Knell.

• Airships: The Hindenburg and other Zeppelins - All your dirigible history requirements catered for.

• Sexy Mermaid Jonah and other biblical coloring book disasters - "...the thickly inked pages of a coloring book demand detail that is often beyond the capabilities of the artists." Alan Scherstuhl, aka The Crap Archivist, picks out a few details from My Coloring Book of Old Testament Bible Stories.

• Sorry, Steve: Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work - An insightful piece from Bloomberg Businessweek in the week the first Apple Store opened in May 2001, explaining how "...the numbers don't add up" and that "...rather than taking on the retailers who ought to be its partners, Apple would do better improving how it works with them." In other news, Apple opened a new store in Madrid on Saturday - its 304th worldwide.

• Yakuza 3 Reviewed by Yakuza - "Jake Adelstein... [is] good enough friends with a few high-ranking gangster bosses that he was able to convince them to conduct an experiment for Boing Boing: to evaluate Yakuza 3, a popular video game about the infamous gangsters created for ordinary citizens." Interesting idea; maybe we should get Zeity to review Galaxians for us

• Opium Made Easy - "Last season was a strange one in my garden, notable not only for the unseasonably cool and wet weather—the talk of gardeners all over New England—but also for its climate of paranoia. One flower was the cause: a tall, breathtaking poppy, with silky scarlet petals and a black heart, the growing of which, I discovered rather too late, is a felony under state and federal law. Actually, it’s not quite as simple as that... whether or not the opium poppies in your garden are illicit depends not on what you do, or even intend to do, with them but very simply on what you know about them. Hence my warning: if you have any desire to grow opium poppies, you would be wise to stop reading right now." Michael Pollan's 1997 article exposes many of the contradictions that inevitably arise from the confused policies of the US Government's "War on Drugs."

• Domestic Conflict, Explained By Stock Photos - "Kevin Nguyen imagines the backstories behind the stock photos he found of couples fighting."

Happy invoicing!
    Last edited by NickFitz; 13 September 2010, 16:02.

Mmmm, bacon burnt to hell. I like everything burnt.

Bush might have made a lot more sense if he'd taken some of that crack. Cannabis or LSD even better, peace and love man, like wow.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks for the links Nick - I look forward to reading them every week - please continue, they're brilliantly entertaining and very informative - love the opium one so far!
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Thanks for the links Nick - I look forward to reading them every week - please continue, they're brilliantly entertaining and very informative - love the opium one so far!
        Cheers - hopefully there's still some stuff left before we arrive here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          By reading that you have become a criminal under state & federal law.

There'll be an extradition warrant waiting for you when you get home.

HTH.
          Yeah zeity, not too far from the truth reading the events that unfolded in the story!
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
          X