• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cultural Heaven

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cultural Heaven

Yep, thats where I am right now.

Just finished M.I.Finlays Aspects of Antiquity as recommended by Thunder Lizard. Excellent collection of essays and the Homer/Moses question is fascinating.

Last night took receipt of my new OU books for a forthcoming course.

Saturday, day trip to London to see the Raphael Tapestries at the VA.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Are you one of those people who thinks that everything that happened in the last 200 years was rubbish?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Excellent collection of essays and the Homer/Moses question is fascinating.
      Yes, what would Homer Simpson think of Gwyneth Paltrow naming her baby son Moses?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Are you one of those people who thinks that everything that happened in the last 200 years was rubbish?
        Apart from your birth, the answer is no.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Ace. The brilliant thing about that book is how I keep forgetting and rediscovering the essays. Had entirely forgotten about Moses & Homer.

I went to see the cartoni and tapestries on Monday. I felt a strong sense of identification with the chap at the back in the "Miraculous Draught of Fishes" one, who is desparately trying to keep the boat upright while everybody else is faffing about with Jesus and the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            Ace. The brilliant thing about that book is how I keep forgetting and rediscovering the essays. Had entirely forgotten about Moses & Homer.

I went to see the cartoni and tapestries on Monday. I felt a strong sense of identification with the chap at the back in the "Miraculous Draught of Fishes" one, who is desparately trying to keep the boat upright while everybody else is faffing about with Jesus and the fish.
            I'll look out for that.

Yeah the book is brilliant, quite funny how he completely takes apart the myth of the Trojan war and how it never happened and then watching my OU intro last night alluding to it as an event that probably DID happen.

Comment

OK, seeing as I'm in need of a new book, I'll give M.I.Finlays Aspects of Antiquity a try.

Gibbon, what's the OU course?

Edit: Where did you buy it from?
              Last edited by PRC1964; 14 September 2010, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                OK, seeing as I'm in need of a new book, I'll give M.I.Finlays Aspects of Antiquity a try.

Gibbon, what's the OU course?

Edit: Where did you buy it from?
                A219 Exploring the Classical World

Bought it from Amazon, only seemed to get secondhand ones. It's not a big book.

Comment

Thank G-d you stopped reading The Daily Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    A219 Exploring the Classical World

Bought it from Amazon, only seemed to get secondhand ones. It's not a big book.
                    That looks interesting. Maybe one to look into once I get my current business able to run with less input from me.

Second hand looks like the only real option. I'll keep an eye on ebay/amazon for one.

Comment

Working...
                    X