• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depending on agents or hunting for work, what is the best strategy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on agents or hunting for work, what is the best strategy

Hello All,

I have started seriously considering contracting but with the way recruitment agencies are these days, you don't know your one man shop from your serious agency or who actually has work or who is trying to use you to pouch for new clients. How did you guys find your first few contacts and what approaches did you take to keep them or find new ones.

Also my skills are mainly in the LAM(Php|Python) sector. Any one in that field know what the contracting market is like?, itjobwatch paints a depressing picture :-)

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by ITGecko View Post
    Hello All,

I have started seriously considering contracting but with the way recruitment agencies are these days, you don't know your one man shop from your serious agency or who actually has work or who is trying to use you to pouch for new clients. How did you guys find your first few contacts and what approaches did you take to keep them or find new ones.

Also my skills are mainly in the LAM(Php|Python) sector. Any one in that field know what the contracting market is like?, itjobwatch paints a depressing picture :-)

Thanks in advance.
    Most agencies don't want long term relationships with contractors, they just want to bend you over, shaft you and occasionally they may pull your nighty back down afterwards.

Comment

I find turning up at a workplace with a mad stare, following some one and saying 'Gisa job, 'gisa job, I could do that, gimme a go, 'gisa job' works fine.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
        If you have not got the contacts already your only route will be agencies really, most clients generally don't want call's direct from random contractors, that's why they use agencies in the first place

As to the "one man shop" vs. "serious agency”, actually in my experience you are generally better off with a contract though a one/two man set up, with them you normally have more negotiating capability plus as you are normally dealing with the owner they care more about the reputation of their business. With larger agency’s it’s generally “pull your pants down and bend because that’s our procedure and we are not deviating from it.”

But what really counts is who has the contract and who does not, in nearly 15 years of contracting never used same agency twice because always go with whoever has the next contract, previous agency is not paying me to sit and wait around while they look for something else.

Main thing with agency’s large and small is negotiate best contract you can and always keep your financial exposure to them at a minim, because agency’s large and small go under.

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
          Get someone to do your cv, upload to Jobserve, hit the apply button.
          Make sure you filter your search, I don't display anything less than my day rate in case I'm tempted to apply. I might do one follow up call if there is something I'm really interested in, but I can't say it has changed anything.

Contracting: right place, right time, right skills.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
            most clients generally don't want call's direct from random contractors
            They don't want calls from random agencies either, but that doesn't stop the agencies, and it doesn't stop the clients from offering them placements often enough to make it worthwhile. Occasional calls from someone who says "I'm Ed, I do LAMP, I cost £500/day, call me if you're interested" would at least make a change for them.

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
              Where's dodgy agent? If he hasn't flounced he might be able to help.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Where's dodgy agent? If he hasn't flounced he might be able to help.
                He's busy.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  He's busy.
                  I'm sure the OP could pop over to Hampstead Heath and find him.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    Get someone to do your cv, upload to Jobserve, hit the apply button.
                    Make sure you filter your search, I don't display anything less than my day rate in case I'm tempted to apply. I might do one follow up call if there is something I'm really interested in, but I can't say it has changed anything.

Contracting: right place, right time, right skills.
                    Agree with this entirely.

I would also add to the other respondees to this post that you appear to have been in the contracting game long enough so why are you still posting about being shafted by agencies? You should know by now the wheat from the chaff, and should be able to deal with the chaff accordingly.

It is 15 years in this game for me now and whilst I have dealt with many agencies, not once have I been shafted. Then again, if you are a beggar who can't afford to be a chooser - you either have the wrong skills, or should be asking more questions before signing the paperwork.
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X