• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attempt to include contractors in public sector pay review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempt to include contractors in public sector pay review

This chap having missed the deadline to provide input into the Hutton Review of Fair Pay in the Public Sector is trying to get in there anyway.

He thinks that external contractors and outsourcers from the private sector should have their 'pay' reviewed with the following suggestion:

This is the issue of pay differentials within private sector organisations providing services to the public sector. As more services are outsourced, it becomes meaningless to focus on pay within public sector organisations without looking at private contractors.

In addition, private contractors are not subject to the same rules of transparency, nor covered by the Freedom of Information Act. The review needs to look at this disparity, as basic information about pay is a prerequisite for further action or analysis.
    Maybe contractors doing government gigs should disclose their salaries - do you think that will make him feel any better?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

The term "contractors" can mean one-man-bands like us, or giant multinationals pitching for £100m+ projects. I think he is talking about the latter.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

From the look of that site he probably means both.

"Fairer tax not lower tax" - nuff said.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think he means contractor_Joe sitting next to permie_Jim being paid nice contractor rates funded by the tax payer.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I think he means contractor_Joe sitting next to permie_Jim being paid nice contractor rates funded by the tax payer.
          I would think that our rates are peanuts compared to the huge sum's of money that are spent on extrnal contracts with large companies etc as already pointed out. The idea of knocking 20 quid off the day rate of each contractor and dealing with the HR and paperwork to implement this makes it a pretty poor target for big savings off the bat. Hardly top of their agenda if they after results but I am sure it will get looked at at some point.

For example.. SITA has a contract with Cornwall Council to collect waste but...

Cornwall Council's annual statement of accounts reveals that the Secretary of State's decision on the proposed waste incinerator at St Dennis is not expected until February of next year. The accounts repeat the oft-stated council line that if the council wins the planning inquiry, it will cost taxpayers £200 million to tear up the Sita contract and start again. (Much much cheaper to lose the inquiry and just pay the legal costs. Unless you live at St Dennis.)

So I don't think they are talking about contractor sitting next to permie..
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            In my experience of the public sector, permie_Jim is seen as an expensive part of the furniture. permie_Jim will be job_for_life_permie_Jim, then rather_useless_permie_Jim, and finally going_though_the_motions_waiting_for_retirement_pe rmie_Jim.

contractor_Joe, on the other hand, will be in and out and billed against a specific project with an allocated budget. Even overpaid_long_lunch_contractor_Joe will come to be seen as outstanding value for money when compared to feet_under_the_table_with_gold_plate_pension_permi e_Jim.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Very logical argument NLUK but these things are not always about logic, that organisation has a wider political agenda.

PS It's supported by Polly Toynbee, say no more!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well Joe should be honest and tell him that like many contractors, he is actually on minimum wage and that the public sector chap is on a great deal more.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Very logical argument NLUK but these things are not always about logic, that organisation has a wider political agenda.

Very true. Can't argue with that.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

And that's all I need to know
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X