PDA

View Full Version : This ratings business

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 14:09
How is it that someone has rated a post of mine, but it is grey - not red or green as normal?

How do I see someone else's rating?

northernladuk
14th September 2010, 14:19
Good question, I have one of them..

and...... is there a limit of how many posts someone must have before they can give rep or can a 1 poster who doesn't like the answer cause they dont have a clue give negative rep?

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 14:21
I have another one. Am I justified in negging someone for hijacking my thread?

Xenophon
14th September 2010, 14:34

In this thread, let's discuss boobs.

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 14:38
In this thread, let's discuss boobs.

You start with your own bra size.

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 14:42
How is it that someone has rated a post of mine, but it is grey - not red or green as normal?

After a bit of digging it transpires that grey means that the total reputation others have given to your post balances out to zero. This would happen if, for example, two separate users (each having the same reputation-giving power) had rated your post, one positively and one negatively.

FiveTimes
14th September 2010, 14:50
Do you gain more points depending on the rep of the giver ?

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 14:50
After a bit of digging it transpires that grey means that the total reputation others have given to your post balances out to zero. This would happen if, for example, two separate users (each having the same reputation-giving power) had rated your post, one positively and one negatively.

Right. Now, I know this will be covered elsewhere, but while I've got you....does the number of points you receive from each rep, depend on who has given it? If so, I assume their 'power' is based on, in turn, their points?

MarillionFan
14th September 2010, 14:58

I don't believe thats correct. A grey reputation does mean zero, but it seems to be caused in two ways

1) The poster does not have a high enough post count to have any effect
2) The poster who repped you is at least two levels below(not confirmed) or is negative (such as Gricerboy - you big loser!).

Not that i've worked anything out or anything...

MarillionFan
14th September 2010, 15:00
Right. Now, I know this will be covered elsewhere, but while I've got you....does the number of points you receive from each rep, depend on who has given it? If so, I assume their 'power' is based on, in turn, their points?

Seems to be a multiplier x posts/1000(up to a level). Where the multiplier is based on level above another poster(or own reputation).

Zippy
14th September 2010, 15:05
I don't believe thats correct. A grey reputation does mean zero, but it seems to be caused in two ways

I agree. If both posters leave a comment, you will only see one of them. How do you know if it's the positive or negative one?
(yes, I know it should be obvious but there is so much piss-taking on here)

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 15:07

It's a moderately complex formula involving your own reputation level, the length of time you've been registered, and your post count. You also have to have both a post count and a reputation level above a certain value for the reputation you give to count.

Also, negative reputation only has half the power of positive - so, to correct my earlier post, you'd have to have two people of equal power negging you to cancel out one person of that power boosting you (or of course one person negging with twice the power of the person boosting).

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 15:16

1) The poster does not have a high enough post count to have any effect
2) The poster who repped you is at least two levels below(not confirmed) or is negative (such as Gricerboy - you big loser!).

Not that i've worked anything out or anything...

I was going by this, which is the bit of code that determines the HTML class used by the CSS to determine which icon to show (Allman/BSD indent style (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/I/indent-style.html) alert):

if ($reputation['reputation'] > 0)
{
$posneg = 'pos';
}
else if ($reputation['reputation'] < 0)
{
$posneg = 'neg';
}
else
{
$posneg = 'balance';
}

As to how it gets to be zero, when somebody posts reputation the score is worked out as I described above and simply added to the existing score (if any) for the relevant post.

Xenophon
14th September 2010, 15:23
You start with your own bra size.

I'm going for definition, not moobs.

Xenophon
14th September 2010, 15:25
NickFitz is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.

MarillionFan
14th September 2010, 15:39
I was going by this, which is the bit of code that determines the HTML class used by the CSS to determine which icon to show (Allman/BSD indent style (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/I/indent-style.html) alert):

if ($reputation['reputation'] > 0)
{
$posneg = 'pos';
}
else if ($reputation['reputation'] < 0)
{
$posneg = 'neg';
}
else
{
$posneg = 'balance';
}

As to how it gets to be zero, when somebody posts reputation the score is worked out as I described above and simply added to the existing score (if any) for the relevant post.

But that will only relate to the post Nick, not in the Settings. The setting should show each individual rep with associated points & colour. It won't sum up there.

chef
14th September 2010, 15:47
NickFitz is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.

:yay: Geek Points are back :banana:

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 16:13
But that will only relate to the post Nick, not in the Settings. The setting should show each individual rep with associated points & colour. It won't sum up there.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, scrub what I said earlier: as far as I can see from a quick glance through the relevant function, an individual reputation-giving event will have a score of zero (and therefore display as grey) if the user:

Cannot give reputation - this is false for all registered users;
Does not have a high enough post count to give reputation;
Does not have a high enough reputation to give reputation.

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 18:07
Thanks all, I don't understand a lot of that, but I've got a slightly better idea now. Ish.

Wanderer
14th September 2010, 19:45
Has anyone answered this question yet?

How do I see someone else's rating?

I'd never noticed the ratings before...

MaryPoppins
14th September 2010, 19:50

I'd never noticed the ratings before...

No, and I still can't work it out.

gricerboy
14th September 2010, 19:57
This mean spirited rapping seems to be done in a very Welsh manor. I'm a poplar member of this lodge yet my reputation is -60

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 20:06

You can't as far as I can see: you only get to see the resulting description.

MarillionFan
14th September 2010, 21:00
You can't as far as I can see: you only get to see the resulting description.

Again Nick please use some lateral thinking.....

Member List - Contractor UK Bulletin Board (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/list/?order=desc&sort=reputation&pp=100)

You cannot get the exact match. But you start on 10 points. The first change is at 50 from Mostly Harmless to Makes Sense. The next change at 100 to 'Must be Listened to'. I would imagine the next change is at 200 which Zippy has got to be close to.

Going other other way 0 - 10 is Mostly Harmless but can be spotted because as you start with 10 points, it means you must be less then 10 if you order ascending

0 to - 25 is 'Tries hard to make sense'

-25 to -50 is 'Slower than a 486'

and so far <-50 is 'Never made it past tape changer'

So you cannot see the exact numbers but you can work out the ranges.

NickFitz
14th September 2010, 21:15
Again Nick please use some lateral thinking.....

Member List - Contractor UK Bulletin Board (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/list/?order=desc&sort=reputation&pp=100)

You cannot get the exact match. But you start on 10 points. The first change is at 50 from Mostly Harmless to Makes Sense. The next change at 100 to 'Must be Listened to'. I would imagine the next change is at 200 which Zippy has got to be close to.

Going other other way 0 - 10 is Mostly Harmless but can be spotted because as you start with 10 points, it means you must be less then 10 if you order ascending

0 to - 25 is 'Tries hard to make sense'

-25 to -50 is 'Slower than a 486'

and so far <-50 is 'Never made it past tape changer'

So you cannot see the exact numbers but you can work out the ranges.

I don't know if admin is using the default ranges, but if so, there are fifteen levels between -2000 and +3000.

Zippy
14th September 2010, 22:40
Yep, you only get to see the description of others, but not their points. In your settings you get to see the total points and comments but not how many points have been given by each person. Only the last five are listed. (it might be nice to hae a list of those you have repped though)

I can confirm that moving from 'Should be listened to' to the next level (whatever that is) does not occur at 200 points.

Wow, remnds me of playing those old platform/level games. :D

NickFitz
15th September 2010, 02:20
Yep, you only get to see the description of others, but not their points. In your settings you get to see the total points and comments but not how many points have been given by each person. Only the last five are listed. (it might be nice to hae a list of those you have repped though)

I can confirm that moving from 'Should be listened to' to the next level (whatever that is) does not occur at 200 points.

Wow, remnds me of playing those old platform/level games. :D

On the default ranges, you should move up at 250. As I mentioned, I don't know if the default ranges apply here - I only have the dev server to check with - but it's unlikely that admin will have gone to too much trouble over a feature that's really just a bit of fun. On that note, I think we should allow the time for threaded's SP gricerboy to be driven slowly but inexorably towards the -2000 mark :)

IIRC, seeing who repped you is a configurable option. (I can't be bothered to check at this time of night.) Enabling it would probably lead to even more vituperous flamewars than already occur, although if I offer my personal opinion that this would be a Bad Thing I'll just get flamed by those losers who think trolling is clever, so I won't :rolleyes:

The "see those you have repped" feature doesn't exist, but if enough people badger admin for it, it could be implemented ;)

MarillionFan
15th September 2010, 06:53
On the default ranges, you should move up at 250. As I mentioned, I don't know if the default ranges apply here - I only have the dev server to check with - but it's unlikely that admin will have gone to too much trouble over a feature that's really just a bit of fun. On that note, I think we should allow the time for threaded's SP gricerboy to be driven slowly but inexorably towards the -2000 mark :)

IIRC, seeing who repped you is a configurable option. (I can't be bothered to check at this time of night.) Enabling it would probably lead to even more vituperous flamewars than already occur, although if I offer my personal opinion that this would be a Bad Thing I'll just get flamed by those people who don't agree, so I won't :rolleyes:

The "see those you have repped" feature doesn't exist, but if enough people badger admin for it, it could be implemented ;)

You'd make a tulip politician, jumping up and down on the bench shouting 'Troll', 'Troll'. The word Troll to you is like immigrant to the Daily Mail.:rolleyes:

cojak
15th September 2010, 07:30

Of course you are - you can neg sockies just for existing :)

MaryPoppins
15th September 2010, 07:42
Of course you are - you can neg sockies just for existing :)

Ooh watch out NOB25. :laugh

Just realised, I should now be listened to. How exciting.

NickFitz
15th September 2010, 13:24
You'd make a tulip politician, jumping up and down on the bench shouting 'Troll', 'Troll'. The word Troll to you is like immigrant to the Daily Mail.:rolleyes:

Proved my point quite nicely there, MF :p

MaryPoppins
17th September 2010, 14:24
Ooh watch out NOB25. :laugh

Just realised, I should now be listened to. How exciting.

Hey NOB25, ta for trying to neg me. As you're clearly so unpopular here, it showed as a neutral rather than a neg. Keep trying.

mudskipper
17th September 2010, 14:31
Hey NOB25, ta for trying to neg me. As you're clearly so unpopular here, it showed as a neutral rather than a neg. Keep trying.

:yay:

DaveB
17th September 2010, 14:53
I want to know who has been modding me up. Apparently I now make sense. It's bloody libelous I tell you, people will start expecting me to actually do something useful if I'm not carefull :tantrum:

MarillionFan
17th September 2010, 15:19
I want to know who has been modding me up. Apparently I now make sense. It's bloody libelous I tell you, people will start expecting me to actually do something useful if I'm not carefull :tantrum:

Give me a few days and I'll take it back off then!

Bloody ingrate.:mad

d000hg
17th September 2010, 19:52

I always thought you could see who had rated you up, but down-voters were anonymous. It seems this isn't the case?

Also, why are reputation updates hidden under 'settings'? It's not a setting, I can't set it or even (apparently) control the history it shows me?

MarillionFan
17th September 2010, 20:43
I always thought you could see who had rated you up, but down-voters were anonymous. It seems this isn't the case?

Also, why are reputation updates hidden under 'settings'? It's not a setting, I can't set it or even (apparently) control the history it shows me?

Don't logically question where the designer puts it!!! At the end of the day it's the stupid people who designed the forum software!!!:nerd