• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've finally arrived!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally arrived!!

A little while ago I was at a dinner party thrown for the benefit of a group of local Rotarians, one of whom is a good acquaintance of mine. He invited me along as I have been knocking on the door for some while now and I have to confess that the free benefits that I've done for the local Rotary Club with my barber shop combo have not been entirely altruistically motivated.

Anyway, it turns out that I reached a tipping point vis a vis my eligilbility to join this elite group and it all came down, apparently, to one thing I said during the course of the meal. We started with a white moselle folowed by a claret and I made the comment that our host showed excellent taste by serving a moselle before the claret whereas had he served a Rhine wine before the claret it would have been quite barbaric.

That one utterance just went to show the Rotarian maxim of "If we see us in you, you become us" in action. I've now been officially invited to join.

Wow! Don't know when I'm going to come down from the ceiling -this is truly massive!

Can you retire this sockie. It's just dull.

Comment

It is funny how these things turned. I once watched a friend's chances of joining an exclusive club immediately evaporate, because he asked the club steward to top up my water glass, instead of asking our host to ask the club steward to top up my water glass.

Comment

I thought you said you didn't drink.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          A little while ago I was at a dinner party thrown for the benefit of a group of local Rotarians, one of whom is a good acquaintance of mine. He invited me along as I have been knocking on the door for some while now and I have to confess that the free benefits that I've done for the local Rotary Club with my barber shop combo have not been entirely altruistically motivated.

Anyway, it turns out that I reached a tipping point vis a vis my eligilbility to join this elite group and it all came down, apparently, to one thing I said during the course of the meal. We started with a white moselle folowed by a claret and I made the comment that our host showed excellent taste by serving a moselle before the claret whereas had he served a Rhine wine before the claret it would have been quite barbaric.

That one utterance just went to show the Rotarian maxim of "If we see us in you, you become us" in action. I've now been officially invited to join.

Wow! Don't know when I'm going to come down from the ceiling -this is truly massive!
          Elitist bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            I thought you said you didn't drink.
            I don't. But under the circumstances, I made an exception.

Comment

So you do drink...

Who ever owns this cockie... at least remember the stuff you've told us.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Someone close that door, I'll get the swords.

Comment

Funnily enough(true this)

Just been invited to a Masonic do next month in Windsor. Black tie, bring the wife etc

I have no idea what to expect. Do I need to roll my trouser leg up and buy some antlers & will I need to chuck my keys in a bowl?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Will they still want you when they realise you are a teetotaller with flexible principles?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X