• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did I read this correctly!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I read this correctly!?

Taken from a CUK article in response to a contractors question about holidays and cv's, the so called expert said;

"You might be daring enough to convince the reader/interviewer to the contrary, but taking a month off to sunbathe in Majorca does not project a positive image of a professional contractor capable of delivering work accurately and in a timely or specified period. "

WTF!?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Quite correct. One should never put that on a CV or mention it at an interview.

Lets face it, professional people don't holiday in Majorca FFS! They do things or have holidays in more up market or interesting places.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Taken from a CUK article in response to a contractors question about holidays and cv's, the so called expert said;

"You might be daring enough to convince the reader/interviewer to the contrary, but taking a month off to sunbathe in Majorca does not project a positive image of a professional contractor capable of delivering work accurately and in a timely or specified period. "

WTF!?
      Majorca LOLLLLLL hahahaaa

Comment

What about taking holiday in Blackpool?

Comment

Agree with earlier comments about being careful what to put on one's CV. However how would you folks declare that time off?

Amazes me that some agents are as thick as two short planks. When I'm out of contract (like now) I spend my time writing utility software which I then promote on my web site, and that goes on the CV. Had a pimp this morning wanting to know what the software does "so that he could match my skills to prospective contracts". So I told him - soccer league management, snippets organiser etc. The guy was a total dimwit, didn't pick up on the fact that when I'm not in contract I'm still keeping my skills up to date, and thought I was looking for work doing utility software for home users, ignoring the fact that I have a CV full of stuff like major Intranet web sites, SQL Server, .NET etc.

I do wonder how intelligent you don't have to be in order to become a pimp. IQ measured as a 2 bit binary number I think, and that includes a checksum bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

WTF!?
            Methinks said expert might be talking out of it's behind.

Since when did taking a holiday in between contracts reflect on your ability to deliver as a professional
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Methinks said expert might be talking out of it's behind.

Since when did taking a holiday in between contracts reflect on your ability to deliver as a professional
              When you admit to holidaying in Majorca, that's when. It's only one step up from Ibiza for goodness sake.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                totally agree, unless taken out of context then that's utter sh!t, I've never once had a problem with times between contracts, i've taken time off in contracts and always made sure the client is happy, i'm not a slave to permie opinions of holiday and when/how long they deem is acceptable to be taken when it's on my own free time uncontracted..
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

WTS. Agent is a total arse.

And in other news - 'Pope is German''
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Some companies and agencies don't like gaps on CVs. They're morons who think that because you weren't working means there's something wrong with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X