• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the cost of petrol over there now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the cost of petrol over there now?

Missus is taking a trip back soon - need to steel myself for the horror of filling up a hire car.

Prices are dropping here right now, any sign of the same over there?

I assume that "over there" means the UK.

Can't give you the spot price as it is today, but 10 UK gallons weighs in at about 50 quid, so a fiver per UK gallon puts you in the right ball park.

Isn't made any easier that they dispense fuel in litres but measure distance and speed using miles.

Bring back imperial measurements I say. At least petrol was cheaper when dispensed by the gallon. Those ruddy metric pumps are obviously more expensive to run....

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
      Missus is taking a trip back soon - need to steel myself for the horror of filling up a hire car.

Prices are dropping here right now, any sign of the same over there?
      The Labour Government is no longer in power. The new coalition has cut petrol prices to 40 pence per litre. VAT is now only 5%. Contractors have the first £20 of tax free and any earnings above that can be taken in dividends. Corporation tax is 10%.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The Labour Government is no longer in power. The new coalition has cut petrol prices to 40 pence per litre. VAT is now only 5%. Contractors have the first £20 of tax free and any earnings above that can be taken in dividends. Corporation tax is 10%.
        Woot, I've obviously not been keeping up with the changes since the election, thanks for the info.

Diesel was 1.17 a litre a couple of days back. Don't follow petrol sorry, but Paddy says 40p a litre.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Woot, I've obviously not been keeping up with the changes since the election, thanks for the info.

Diesel was 1.17 a litre a couple of days back. Don't follow petrol sorry, but Paddy says 40p a litre.
          38 per a litre near me, but the Esso garage is 42p. Such a rip off. Tesco's is doing a BOGOFF on Diesel but again I don't use it so not sure of the price.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

To the OP. It's £1.14 - £1.20 per litre of Petrol. Very expensive. Vat is still 17.5% and going to 20% in the New Year.

Not sure why the posters above are trying to mislead you, very childish.

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
              To the OP. It's £1.14 - £1.20 per litre of Petrol. Very expensive. Vat is still 17.5% and going to 20% in the New Year.

Not sure why the posters above are trying to mislead you, very childish.
              No, that's the price per gallon. Don’t confuse our Aussie friends.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                No, that's the price per gallon. Don’t confuse our Aussie friends.
                Don't be ridiculous of course it's not.
                Petrol prices | Money | guardian.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
                  Don't be ridiculous of course it's not.
                  Petrol prices | Money | guardian.co.uk
                  That is a communist propaganda newspaper. Petrol has been sold in gallons ever since the Conservatives won the election.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful!) replies.

Comment

Working...
                    X