• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Pope - I don't believe this guy!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pope - I don't believe this guy!

Benedict XVI used the first papal state visit to Britain to launch a blistering attack on "atheist extremism" and "aggressive secularism", and to rue the damage that "the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life" had done in the last century.

The leader of the Roman Catholic church concluded a speech, made before the Queen and assembled dignitaries at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, with the argument that the Nazi desire to eradicate God had led to the Holocaust and a plea for 21st-century Britain to respect its Christian foundations.
    So we welcome him to our country despite all his and his predecessors' previous wrongdoings, including collaboration with the Reich (Pius XI), and the first thing he does is blame us for the Holocaust? Then we get a lecture from the Vatican on religious tolerance. Somehow I'm finding it hard to accept that it is my lack of faith that is the problem here.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    So we welcome him to our country despite all his and his predecessors' previous wrongdoings, including collaboration with the Reich (Pius XI), and the first thing he does is blame us for the Holocaust? Then we get a lecture from the Vatican on religious tolerance. Somehow I'm finding it hard to accept that it is my lack of faith that is the problem here.
    There, there. It's only the Grauniad.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

English is not your first language, is it?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Pope Pius XII you doughball.

Anyway, the Catholic church under the direction of Pius XII managed to shift 200,000 Jews out of Germany.

The man clearly seen what was coming while the west still claims "we did not see it coming."

Comment

Pius XI signed the Concordat AFAIRC. But otherwise I stand corrected: in Regnal Number but not in spirit.

Shaunbhoy, English is my first language. Would you mind telling me what you object to? Is it the infinitive without the auxiliary "to"? Or did I write some howler that I can't see?

Or is it just that the aggresive papists are coming out of the woodwork at any criticism of the unholy Roman Empire? You two are not from the West of Scotland with connections to Catholic countries by any chance?

Comment

"I have in my hand a piece of paper signed by Mr Hitler"

That is all.

Comment

Shaunbhoy, English is my first language. Would you mind telling me what you object to? Is it the infinitive without the auxiliary "to"? Or did I write some howler that I can't see?
              I highlighted the part that I queried. Why not see if you can't find a nearby grown-up to fill in the gaps thereafter?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I highlighted the part that I queried. Why not see if you can't find a nearby grown-up to fill in the gaps thereafter?
                If you qualify, I would appreciate your elaborating on it. I understand which part of my post you think is poor English, I just don't (yet) see that it is so.

Comment

If you qualify, I would appreciate your elaborating on it. I understand which part of my post you think is poor English, I just don't (yet) see that it is so.
                  Jesus wept.

Comment

Chaps, this is turning into one of those pantomime threads. 'Oh yes I am, Oh no you aren't'

The moral issues of the holocaust, the catholic church, the crusades and the Holy Roman Empire are not really black and white, binary 'me goody, you baddy' matters that can be decided by silly one liners.

The priest obviously made a very provocative statement which was linguistically ungainly and I believe ill-informed (Hitler and his chums were not atheists AFAIK), but that won't be helped when others make claims that he is ´blaming us for the holocaust´ when I don´t think he is doing that. I think he´s positing a theory which is plausible but incorrect and should be met with rational argument.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X