• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vince Cable: Migrant cap is hurting economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vince Cable: Migrant cap is hurting economy

The government's cap on immigration has been "very damaging" to British industry by stopping companies hiring key staff, the business secretary, Vince Cable, said today.

The Department for Business has examples of companies which have reduced investment or relocated operations overseas because the cap prevents them accessing key staff, said Cable, who called for more "flexibility" on allowing skilled workers into the UK.
    So quit opposing immigration of flexible (cheap) skilled (allegedly) workers. You wouldn't want to damage British industry, now would you?
    Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 17 September 2010, 07:39.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Are Gamages still going then?
    Can't think what you mean, young man.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Let 'em ali in. The UK is tulip'ed already, may as well kill it off quickly as a kindness.

ps. was a genuine typo, but decided to leave it in...
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Was on the news that we only let in the 'cleverest and brightest'.

That must be why my clientco is full of bobs wearing unmatched suit parts, (sometimes) matching trainers and who write code that fails testing at every opportunity. We wouldn't want to 'gamage' industry by putting a stop to that now, would we ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

That must be why my clientco is full of bobs wearing unmatched suit parts, (sometimes) matching trainers and who write code that fails testing at every opportunity. We wouldn't want to 'gamage' industry by putting a stop to that now, would we ?
          I remember that in the 90s, the sub-continent coders brought here were of a generally high standard. Nice to see that we've decided to make local folk (including myself) have a lot of leisure time, and release us from the strain of deciding what to do with our pay, by giving opportunities to the world's villages. I'm almost tempted to enrol for the GenuineAuthentic IRA!
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

That must be why my clientco is full of bobs wearing unmatched suit parts, (sometimes) matching trainers and who write code that fails testing at every opportunity...
            Good news for testers.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              I'm almost tempted to enrol for the GenuineAuthentic IRA!
              Sadly, nothing will be done until it gets violent.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Good news for testers.
                Aye, every cloud has a silver lining. But I fear there's probably a growth in bob-testers too

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  Aye, every cloud has a silver lining. But I fear there's probably a growth in bob-testers too
                  Don´t worry. For every 100 cosmetic faults the Bobs report there are at least one or two major boo-boo superduper bugger-up, bust the bank, crash the electricity supply, pollute the water, block the emergency services and crash the train errors that it takes seriously highly educated professionals to find. OK, a few of those serious professionals might be Indian, but not the calibre that gets sent here on the cheap. Indian testing seems to consist of programming a test tool (with all the inherent programming errors), then repeating the same test 1000s of times. That's like minesweeping along the very same tracks every day; you won't find the mines that have been laid off your normal tracks but which will sink any ship that has to divert by 50 metres. The best testers don't just have training in test methodologies and a piece of paper that certifies them, but scientific education, may have training in subjects as diverse as forensic engineering and auditing and are often quite experienced in designing and building software to a good standard. The Indian testers, just like many testers in software companies, are mostly trainee programmers whose brains just don't work the way a tester's brain should work.

Thing is, clientcos have to bugger up big time at least once before they learn the lesson; once they learn the lesson, they hire someone good (and then put up all sorts of 'complaince' barriers that make it impossible for him to do his work).

As Red Adair said, 'if you think the professionals are expensive, wait until you see what it costs when you hire an amateur'.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

the uk already has access to a pool of 500million europeans. Surely there is enough talent there to fill any vacancies. OR is it just vince trying to satisfy his BOB relations ?

Comment

Working...
                    X