• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sweet Jewiz and all that is holy, Excel, Mac, MS and the date system...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet Jewiz and all that is holy, Excel, Mac, MS and the date system...

Why on earth was this problem not ironed out in the early days?

I've being trying to copy data across from a document generated in MS version of excel using the 1900 date system and of course all the dates change when it's pasted into the Mac version and vice versa, as it uses the 1904 date system.

My problem is similar to:

Excel Date Weirdness | Compound Thinking

There is not quick fix as I've too much data to manipulate

Someone needs a good kick up the $£@£ for this, hanging is too good for them..
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Can you nail down the Mac version to always default to the 1900 date system?
    Last edited by Sysman; 18 September 2010, 12:26.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Can you nail down the Mac version to always default to the 1900 date system?
      Indeed I can.

However all the dates already in the sheet leap 4 years and 1 day into the past and suddenly waves on doubt come over me.

Are those dates still correct?

Confidence dwindling...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

• Do you have some reference data to check against? I'd suggest picking some items at random and checking them for accuracy.
        • Can you set up some tests so that you can know exactly when and in what circumstances you have "corruption"? This should at least give you some confidence.
        • Have you done any sorts on date columns? I you haven't perhaps you have a chance of identifying chunks of data which are off. If you have sorted by date, this may be a nightmare.
        • How much work have you done which may be affected? If not a lot, starting again may be an option.
        • How important is the data? I've got visions of corporate accounts going seriously adrift here...
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

What I've done is just add the missing days to the serial numbers that represent the dates. There is no other reference I'm aware to verify the data against since I have the original material.

It's knocked my confidence though,

Comment

Working...
          X