• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Privatisation has been so good for Briton's railways...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Privatisation has been so good for Briton's railways...

and the services just keep getting better...

BBC News - Southern Railway to axe toilets from new train fleet

Privatisation; the catalyst that turned passengers into customers. No hint of that here on the continent, which might explain the 8 euro fare I paid for an hour long journey.

PS: I bought the ticket all 5 minutes before I got on the train

PSS: I had a choice of sitting upstairs or downstairs, how exciting.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 19 September 2010, 15:11.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

And for the sole reason to cram more passengers in...

Even ryanair hasn't stooped that low!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      And for the sole reason to cram more passengers in...

Even ryanair hasn't stooped that low!

SShhh't! You're not a passenger! Moooo You're a customer.

Now stop complaining and hold your breath until the next stop.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

An O'Leary moment - except this one doesn't seem to be a joke. I really hope they refurbish their trains to include easily washable floors and upholstery
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          An O'Leary moment - except this one doesn't seem to be a joke. I really hope they refurbish their trains to include easily washable floors and upholstery
          What's the equivalent of the mile high club for train travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            And make sure their stations have open and functioning toilet facilities.

To be fair, buses don't have toilets, and bus journeys can often take an hour.

Comment

That would be just like Soviet short range (few hours) trains then

Might as well do this next -

Comment

More's the pity O'Leary isn't running the railways. The conditions could hardly be worse (outside of rip-off class), but the price could do with his touch.

Code:
                And go from this:

Cheap        Expensive
                Comfortable        
                Uncomfortable                           X

To this:

Cheap        Expensive
                Comfortable        
                Uncomfortable             X
                What would an O'Leary railway be like? One bag per customer? Saddle seats? A third class (probably a good idea, why was it taken away?). Trains might run on time too (I gather his airline has the best on-time record).

Comment

If O'Leary was running railways then train to "London" would actually terminate at Reading ...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    To be fair, buses don't have toilets, and bus journeys can often take an hour.
                    The difference with a bus is they can stop and let you out if you really have to go.
                    Trains can be delayed, or stuck on tracks in the middle of nowhere, and they wont let you out if you're not at a station and its not safe.

This will happen to Southern,... there will be a cow on the tracks or something, the train will be stranded for 2 hours, and a few dozen people will wet themselves. I really dont think they've thought this one through properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X