• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Robbing Barstewards!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robbing Barstewards!

My wife got her car insurance renewal through on Saturday. The quote was a little higher than her previous one at 477. So I did a quick comparison and got her the same features on one about 100 less. I suggested she rang Kwik-fit, who her renewal was from, to see if they would match the cheaper price. They couldn't/wouldn't and thankfully so. When I checked on the back of her quote the cost to pay by monthly direct debit was 802 over the course of a year with an apr of over 50%. I can understand a high APR on a very short term loan (pay day loans etc) and loans for those with a poor credit rating (she hasn't) but this is a loan of 477 over a year and she never missed a payment on her previous policy.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

was it pay monthly with the option to cancel with 1 months notice? if so then she's effectively getting monthly insurance which would explain why it's higher, no long term commitment.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Nope - normal policy with a big penalty to terminate it early. Just a complete con. Put a normal(ish) amount of the front and most people would assume that if the overall figure has not gone up much then the DD would not also. But in this case the costs for paying by DD were about half as much again.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

this would never have happened if Gordon ruled the world
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Your post has prompted me to have a look around, as my car insurance is due next month. Go Compare found me a quote less than half the price that Direct Line has offered!

For a small saving I usually wouldn't bother to switch, but this is almost a £300 saving!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Your post has prompted me to have a look around, as my car insurance is due next month. Go Compare found me a quote less than half the price that Direct Line has offered!

For a small saving I usually wouldn't bother to switch, but this is almost a £300 saving!
            What I do is use go compare / moneysupermarket to get me the quotes and then look to see what discounts I can get through quidco and use quidco to take me to the insurance company.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

More importantly, what are contractors doing paying by installments.

I thought it was customary to slap your wad on the table and be done with it!!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              Nope - normal policy with a big penalty to terminate it early. Just a complete con. Put a normal(ish) amount of the front and most people would assume that if the overall figure has not gone up much then the DD would not also. But in this case the costs for paying by DD were about half as much again.

Comment

Working...
              X