• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh nads they've only gone and offered me a permie role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh nads they've only gone and offered me a permie role

I only really did the interviews to fill some bench time, on the off chance...

Last edited by moorfield; 21 September 2010, 08:25.

How long on the bench? Tempted?

Comment

"Permanent roles are for wimps who don't have confidence in their ability to cut it as contractors." - Aristotle, 566BC

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        I only really did the interviews to fill some bench time, on the off chance...

Are they being insistent about it or can you carry on contracting for a while?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Are they being insistent about it or can you carry on contracting for a while?
          He's currently on the bench Mitch.

He just interviewed to occupy some time.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            He's currently on the bench Mitch.

He just interviewed to occupy some time.
            Oh yeah, sorry, must book those adult literacy remedial classes!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Benched since end of July and with a decent warchest I could sit out the next 6 months comfortably. But an opp I would have been dim not to interview for (in the current climate) in my skillset + some new bits. The only bite I've had elsewhere is back in NL - been there done that. Don't have to make a decision until the end of the week, but certainly got some thinking to do.
              Last edited by moorfield; 21 September 2010, 10:24.

Comment

Benched since end of July and with a decent warchest I could sit out the next 6 months comfortably. But an opp I would have been dim not to interview for (in the current climate) in my skillset + some new bits. The only bite I've had elsewhere is back in NL - been there done that. Don't have to make a decision until the end of the week, but certainly got some thinking to do.
                One thing you might want to take into consideration is that a long spell of emptiness in your CV could suggest you are no good. Recruitment agents in particular seem to have this idea that if you haven't ridden a bike in the last 6 months then you would fall off if you tried again. These recruitment consultants are total f*ckwits as far as I am concerned.

I would suggest that if there is nothing else on the horizon, go for the permie job. Get some money coming in, and if the employment market improves you can resign and go back to doing real work. YMMV.

Comment

You haven't been out that long so don't sweat it.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

This happened to me, again only did the interview for practice.

The market was quiet so I took the role - lasted 6 weeks and hated every minute. Grabbed the first local-ish contract that came along and waved goodbye.

Good luck with your choice
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X