• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contactor Question for Once!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contactor Question for Once!

Been reading the board during the week but unable to post at work.

I finished my first weeks contract last week and I am now on my second week?

I was surprised at how quick I was expected to hit the floor running! I was asked to check their design for the new application database and added as a signatory for sign-off!

Anyway, I had some concerns but signed off as I thought it was best not to rock the board?

My contract question is? Is it best to voice concerns up front or go along with the flow?

Best to voice concerns upfront, especially as you are 'neutral'. That's why they hire external contractors like you.

Once you've been quiet about something you have to go along with it. And when the tulip hits the fan it will of course be you who gets the blame and you who will get fired. That's why they hire external contractors like you.

HTH
    Cats are evil.

Comment

You're expected to deliver within the 1st week, you're a contractor now. And sod rocking the boat, you're supposed to be the expert, if they don't like your decision be it positive or negative, they can fire you (they won't).

(And go easy on the ?'s - it makes you look weak and indecisive.)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yeah, and drop the exclamation marks - they make you look like a sixth former
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

Best to voice concerns upfront, especially as you are 'neutral'. That's why they hire external contractors like you.
          Exactly.

But bear in mind that when carefully considered and used in moderation some non-normalized horrors, that would give a uni computer science lecturer seizures, can improve performance.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
            I finished my first weeks contract last week and I am now on my second week?

Anyway, I had some concerns but signed off as I thought it was best not to rock the board?

My contract question is? Is it best to voice concerns up front or go along with the flow?
            That is the first time I've ever seen "Australian question intonation" typed out. Like, well done?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              That is the first time I've ever seen "Australian question intonation" typed out. Like, well done?
              I think it's called high rising terminals? But yes, really annoying?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                You're expected to deliver within the 1st week, you're a contractor now. And sod rocking the boat, you're supposed to be the expert, if they don't like your decision be it positive or negative, they can fire you (they won't).

(And go easy on the ?'s - it makes you look weak and indecisive.)
                Nice response ladies. Painters in?

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                I saw what you did there?

Comment

I thought I was quite measured.

I could have called him Priscilla.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    I mean, like, totally? I thought he was from, like, LA or something?
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X