• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Albania famous for making shoes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Albania famous for making shoes?

Just wondered, since I noticed that some rather uncomfortable looking shoes in M&S were made in Albania.

Enver Hoxha would be proud.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Just wondered, since I noticed that some rather uncomfortable looking shoes in M&S were made in Albania.

Enver Hoxha would be proud.
    Yes, women's shoes. The shoes are made in sweatshop factories, employing people of dubious legal working age, then sent to Italy where they're given a label that says 'Made in Italy' under the name of some fashion designer.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      How interesting.

The M&S ones were marked "Made in Albania".

King Zog would be proud.
      Yep, M&S are at least open about plenty cheapness manufacturing policies. However, the words 'Made in Italy' have virtually no legal meaning as long as some part of production happened in Italy, such as sticking the label to the sole of the shoe.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oi. Don't insult my atheist hero Hoxha. Or my religious principle of meaness by knocking cheap. Cheap is holy.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

He banned beards apparently. That wasn't unusual in the USSR, they had a similar ban in Bulgaria.

Once hitchhiked across Bulgaria and all the other hippies trying to get across the border had to shave their beards off. The border guard took one look at my weedy beard and said that's ok, you can go through. I felt really insulted.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X