• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your take on the cartoon saga...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your take on the cartoon saga...

Like most I've been following the recent cartoon saga with some interest. The amount of hypocracy seems one of it's defining pieces as far as I can see so far.

So, since no-one has started one already I thought I start a pop quiz/poll to see what the general opinion here was.

My vote?, well if you're the second person to vote then it'll be obvious...

Edit:

took 10-15 bl**dy minutes trying to get the stupid thing to accept the poll!!
    Those crazy Danes, it's simply a silly joke which got out of hand
    4.76%
    The cartoonists should be hung, drawn, and quartered for disrespecting someone elses faith
    0.00%
    The cartoons may have been in bad taste but they proved their point
    35.71%
    It's about respect. Just because people have different ideas doesn't mean you can criticise them
    2.38%
    Such hypocrisy, claiming freedom of speech while prosecuting people for simply denying the holecaust
    4.76%
    Such hypocrisy, claiming respect for others while denying basic rights simply because of your faith
    2.38%
    There shouldn't been a bill banning racial hatred, there should be a bill banning religion
    19.05%
    This ain't going to have a happy ending, the moment I can afford it I'm moving 'off-planet'
    4.76%
    I don't know which is worse, the cartoons, the fundamentalists, or some of our politicians
    7.14%
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
    19.05%
    Last edited by Joe Black; 5 February 2006, 19:26.

Allow democracy to exist in muslim states, and then see how many of them want to *really* strap explosives to their bellies rather than eat bacon (and bacon is quite yummy really).
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

According to many of the congregation gathered here I am already on another planet, so that was as close as I could get with the given poll options.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This could be a good thing in the long run

I would hope that this will open the eyes of all the apologists for lunacy that most religions and Islam for damn sure is full of crazy people who have no place in civilised society.
        If they want to live in the dark ages they're perfectly entitled to **** off back to the desert and let us live our lives how we want.
        Multiculturalism my arse, if they don't like the rules of the country, then **** off out of it.
        And the BNP must be licking their lips, if they play it right, they'll massively increase their support.
        I believe it vindicates my personal stance on all of these issues relating to liberty. I'll happily tolerate your beliefs and actions, however mad they seem to me, provided that you show me the same consideration. I will not tolerate the intolerant.

and McQ
        Allow democracy to exist in muslim states
        Democratic Muslim state? Oxymoron, surely?
        Why not?

Comment

All right, I'll bite.

1. I'm p1ssed off with the BBC and fellow travellers who pander to everyone else bar the millions of British people gave their lives to ensure free speech here.

2. I'm p1ssed off with muslims in this country who demonstrate against the cartoons. If they don't like it, they should feck off to another country where free speech is cropped to their liking. There are plenty out there in the muslim world.

3. I'm p1ssed off with those wa nkers who come on the radio telling us that "the cartoons are of poor quality and aren't funny anyway". Pure, patronising, sh1te.

4. I'm more p1ssed off with some muslim countries than I was before.

5. I couldn't be more p1ssed off with Jack Straw and HMG than I was before this blew up, but if I could be, I would be.

Comment

DG... you correctly identified my irony...

You win £5.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

If anyone dresses up as a suicide bomber on london streets as they did yesterday deserve to be shot - that is the most insulting part of it. And those with placards about beheading brits should be imprisoned or if not born here sent back.

The hypocrisy that says they are allowed to threaten us but we must not make cartoons of them has taken away any respect I had of Muslims and the police who I now see as on the same side. The police just stood aside and let it happen - the only 2 people arrested were Londoners angry about being threatened on their own streets.

The BBC are willing to publicise pictures of Muslims in suicide suits on our streets and placards proclaiming we should be beheaded - but won't publicise the cartoons. To add insult to injury journalists were threatened by police for trying to get photos of those dressed as suicide bombers - they are trying to hide it all.

Comment

Democratic Muslim state? Oxymoron, surely?

Yes it does present it problems.

Could a state where the supreme arbitor of all things is considered to be a specific religion allow a democracy where the people could then vote against it...hmm...

Comment

Multi-fecking-culturism? My arse.

Comment

Ah, but JB, it's not just that

Originally posted by Joe Black
                    Yes it does present it problems.

Could a state where the supreme arbitor of all things is considered to be a specific religion allow a democracy where the people could then vote against it...hmm...

For democracy to prosper you have to be able to make informed choices.
                    If you believe in some nonsensical historic mumbo-jumbo you're hardly capable of making a reasoned and therefore informed choice, are you?
                    Or am I being too harsh on the gullible?
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X