• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are the facebook guys worth roughly $10Billion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the facebook guys worth roughly $10Billion?

I understand that their site attracts millions of vistitors daily and that they have access to information that would make any ad exec like there was no tomorrow BUT AFAIK they are not using this info and are not charging the millions who use it. I have never clicked on an ad link from there and it doesn't seem particularly targeted other than by country.

So why is it worth so much? Or does the underpants gnomes' business model work if you have enough hype?

TIA

I think their advertising is working. It seems to be outperforming Google Adwords who are now sending me £75 vouchers in the post instead of £25-£50 ones.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I think their advertising is working. It seems to be outperforming Google Adwords who are now sending me £75 vouchers in the post instead of £25-£50 ones.
      Have you used the advertising? Have considered it for one project. PPC or PPM?

Comment

Ah, apparently their advertising revenue will hit the $1Billion mark for 2010.

Comment

Facebook has about 500million users, and that is over double what it was a year ago - I talked to some of their guys at a conference as they'd just hit 200m. So 1 billion users might be a safe prediction, $10bn values each user at $10. Whether that's a lot or not, who knows. But Facebook allows very targeted advertising, IIRC, based on your profile.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Have you used the advertising? Have considered it for one project. PPC or PPM?
            Adwords I used a while back but hjaven't for a while. Although I'm thinking of using this £75 one before it expires

facebook never used so can't comment :/
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Forget advertising... think what they have... They have possibly the biggest single collection of users anywhere. Imagine what they can do with that. They can start using it like a bank/creditcard/payment method. Tesco has a shop written in to it's Facebook page. You go on there do your shopping and pay with Facebook Pounds. They can have almost like an internet in and internet. They can start an email system, shopping yadda yadda all within facebook..

They could make Facebook an operating system instead of iPad or something so you truely have your own personal computer or for people that can't use computers and so on. The sky is the limit for ideas like this.

Add something like a second life app that you can live IN facebook possibly..

You could play games through FB platform as some companies are already doing, streaming the game not having it loaded locally...

The limits are endless when you have that many people hooked in to a single system. THAT is what is worth the money, not what they have now. They have unlimited earning potential in the future.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We use google addwords, and spend about £500 pw on PPC.

We've started using FB adverts, and although get hits through it, its not as targeted as google is. We use PPC on FB, as PPM worked out expensive for us, and it is more for building brand awareness.

digiScanLtd.com | Slide Scanning, Negative Scanning, Photo Scanning, Tape Conversion, Cine Conversion
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Apparently they are pulling in like $400 mln of ad money this year...

Comment

Think Facebook will turn out to be a fad at some point...once they lose their cool and get in with the government...the valuation is a bubble I'd say.

As an IT person, I'm amazed how wobbly their site is after every change / upgrade...

Comment

Working...
                    X