• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commonwealth Games again; luxury in Bobland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commonwealth Games again; luxury in Bobland

Pictures taken by a rep of one of the competing teams who went to inspect the facilities;

BBC Sport - Athletes' village photos

Much quickness, plenty cheapness.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Much quickness, plenty cheapness.
    Not much

Delhi has had seven years to prepare for the Games.

Comment

Anyone been to Butlins?

Comment

It look a far lot nicer than my flat.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Having missed so many construction deadlines the concern now is over the safety of the new venues - especially after the collapse of a pedestrian bridge near the main stadium on Tuesday and Wednesday's less serious problems with the ceiling inside the weightlifting arena.

By finishing the venues so late there are fears over the credibility of the safety certificates issued to the organisers.

Delhi 2010 was supposed to be a springboard for a 2020 Olympic bid. That can be almost certainly be consigned to the rubbish bin even if organisers manage to turn things around in the next 10 days.

Source.
          So, will:

a) The games go ahead as planned

b) The games be cancelled due to all these problems

c) A 'convenient' actual or attempted terrorist attack result in teams pulling out leading to a cancellation of the games

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            So, will:

a) The games go ahead as planned

b) The games be cancelled due to all these problems

c) A 'convenient' actual or attempted terrorist attack result in teams pulling out leading to a cancellation of the games
            You old cynic! Quite possibly 'b' though. Option 'c' would result in a considerable loss of face, so I'm going to go with a cholera or rabies scare, something that can't be blamed on others or that has a definite end.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

The government will be slapping a D-Notice on the story soon. I don't understand why they haven't done so already.

There can be stories of the Indians doing anything wrong or to a standard that is unacceptable to the people of the west. These are the people that we should aspire to be like.

Soon the people of the UK will dream of living in conditions so luxurious as those shown in the pictures.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I have a cunning plan

All the news stories about poor construction is a massive ruse by Team England.

The objective is that the Ozzies, Kiwis, Jamaicans and anyone else in with a chance pull out thus giving a medal tally slightly better than the usual bronze in cycling.

Comment

Can anybody find the link to the story about an Indian manager claiming that British firms needed to learn something from Indian firms? It was a word which described a way of doing things that might not be the best way but it got stuff finished (albeit shoddily).

I can't remember the word and I can't find the story but it looks like it's in evidence again here.

Comment

Apparently "Several Islamist organisations with links to al-Qaeda had threatened to disrupt the Games".

How will we tell?
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X