• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The China Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The China Card

China has blocked all exports of rare earths to Japan, stepping up the pressure on Tokyo to release a Chinese boat captain detained in disputed waters.
    -- AFP.

China has 95% of the supply of rare earths. This will be one of the battlegrounds of the 21st Centurey.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Oh I just googled rare earths - very interesting, I've learned something today!
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

From what I've read it sounds like China only has a monopoly on the rare earth mining industry and not the availability of natural resources. Other countries can mine it also but it hasn't been economic to do so because of Chinas "much quickness plenty cheapness"

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        From what I've read it sounds like China only has a monopoly on the rare earth mining industry and not the availability of natural resources. Other countries can mine it also but it hasn't been economic to do so because of Chinas "much quickness plenty cheapness"
        That's my understanding too. I think there's a load of that stuff under Scandanavia.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          Oh I just googled rare earths - very interesting, I've learned something today!
          You are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            China has 95% of the supply of rare earths. This will be one of the battlegrounds of the 21st Centurey.
            Another dagger in the folly called wind turbines and their magnets.

Not that this is the major problem with them - a wind turbine cannot replace fossil fueled load balancing power stations with respect to a country's power management.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              The thing about rare earths is that they're not particularly rare.
              Indeed. Although one definition of rare is as shorthand for rarefied: of low density, rather than abundance:
              # S: (adj) rare, rarefied, rarified (having low density) "rare gasses"; "lightheaded from the rarefied mountain air"
              WordNet Search - 3.0
              I thought Lithium was rare, in absolute terms, but knowing you, I checked and indeed it is not a rare element (in the common usage of the word).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Commonly available (or one isotope there of) in your friendly local H Bomb factory.
                Wait for the Dilithium to become available, it's much more useful.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  Wait for the Dilithium to become available, it's much more useful.
                  Yes, for crystals used by you-know-who to boldly go...

Comment

Working...
                  X