• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gibbon's house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gibbon's house

Hi Gibbon,
    Strolling around Marylebone I couldn't help noticing that you used to live at 7 Bentinck Street. Did you know that's just 2 doors down from where Kim Philby and Guy Burgess used to live (no blue plaque at no. 5 for them)?

But they are not the most ignominious lowlifes to inhabit the area, because REC have their offices on the corner with Welbeck Street.

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Hi Gibbon,
    Strolling around Marylebone I couldn't help noticing that you used to live at 7 Bentinck Street.
    Why, so he did

Comment

Hi Gibbon,
      Strolling around Marylebone I couldn't help noticing that you used to live at 7 Bentinck Street. Did you know that's just 2 doors down from where Kim Philby and Guy Burgess used to live (no blue plaque at no. 5 for them)?

But they are not the most ignominious lowlifes to inhabit the area, because REC have their offices on the corner with Welbeck Street.
      If I lived there now then the tone would be even lower, hence why I'm now in Leeds.

Talking of Gibbon, Edward that is, I'm having trouble sourcing a complete version of his work in hardbacks for a reasonable price. I know some of the work is now viewed as invalid but I love his prose and it was this work that really got me into studying this area.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Here's one coming up for sale next week:
        GIBBON, Edward. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. A New Edition. London: John Murray, 1881. 8 vols, 8°. Contemporary half calf, spines gilt, morocco labels (light rubbing). Provenance: Arthur Wakefield Chapman (bookplate). (8)

Its former owners should have read it more thoroughly I think.

Comment

Hi Gibbon,

That whole area has a very dubious past going back centuries.

It has had many nefarious residents.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
          X