• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That stux.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stux.

any interesting insights on Stuxnet?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Yeah, it's amazing how many of certain companies' locked down, isolated, firewalled, process control networks are potentially at risk cos the business likes a quick and dirty 'interface' between systems.

Not my clients' obviously you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Yeah, it's amazing how many of certain companies' locked down, isolated, firewalled, process control networks are potentially at risk cos the business likes a quick and dirty 'interface' between systems.

Not my clients' obviously you understand.
        The peculiarity of Stuxnet is that only one site is at risk.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Except it spreads by USB stick.

linky
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Except it spreads by USB stick.

linky
            Exactly. Business decides to do some file transfer on the quiet and ...

Comment

Can someone explain how the Stuxnet virus put Iran's nuclear bomb program back by four years?

I know it caused some of the centrifuges to break, but only 15% of them.

By the way, it sounds a right clever bit of virusing.

Comment

How did it manage to damage bomb-making equipment that inspectors have never managed to find?

Why is there no international outrage at this assault on a sovereign nation's infrastructure?

Iran is desperate to end its dependency upon oil hence its investment in nuclear energy. Why is the USA & Israel allowed to prevent that?

PS it ain't a virus unless it propagates. It is just industrial sabotage.

Personally, I think the USA is still desperate for a war with Iran, but cannot find an excuse to start one so is trying to provoke Iran into starting one.

An attack on their nuclear power industry is a legitimate reason for Iran to go to a war footing.

Be afraid. The USA is still run by pro-Israelis + oil company interests + fundamental Baptist Christian rednecks.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Be afraid. The USA is still run by pro-Israelis + oil company interests + fundamental Baptist Christian rednecks.
                  I'd rather that than the Chinese still, better the devil you know
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Can someone explain how the Stuxnet virus put Iran's nuclear bomb program back by four years?

I know it caused some of the centrifuges to break, but only 15% of them.

By the way, it sounds a right clever bit of virusing.
                    Depends on who you listen to but some estimates say they lost up to a third of their production capacity and had extended periods of no production at all.

The centrifuges don't operate in isolation, they run in cascades with the output from one feeding the next one in line and typically have 1000's operating in sequence. Loss of just one results in a complete shut down of the process and repair or replacement may not be straight forward, not to mention collateral damage to other systems caused by the damage to the centrifuge.

Top that with the fact that Iran may not find it easy to source repairs or replacements due to international sanctions and years of lost time is entirely possible.

The latest reports indicate it may have been a joint effort between US and Israeli security services with the US providing access to the required centrifuge hardware for testing. Whoever it was they knew exactly what they were targeting and had put a lot of effort into making sure it worked reliably and in a manner that would be extremely hard to detect.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X