• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand Designs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Designs.

The first ep of this season involved a lune who extended a modest 1970s faux stone bungalow on the Isle of Wight into a monstrosity partially clad in charred wood and what ever they use instead of asbestos sheets.

The 2nd ep involved a pair who bought a field with a dilapidated barn in, then built a house underneath it.

The lunatics appear to have taken over the asylum.

don't forget the yoghurt.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      The 2nd ep involved a pair who bought a field with a dilapidated barn in, then built a house underneath it.
      I thought the design and the concept (as presented at the beginning of the program) was the best out of all the series over the last few years. Unfortunately, with practically no natural light and an interior like an underground car park (who can possibly 'love' cable trays and ventilation pipes exposed throughout your property) it didn't feel like a home at all. The folly and converted barn looked good; but you're right - balmy, the pair of 'em.

Still, wish I had the balls to attempt anything near this...
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
        I thought the design and the concept (as presented at the beginning of the program) was the best out of all the series over the last few years. Unfortunately, with practically no natural light and an interior like an underground car park (who can possibly 'love' cable trays and ventilation pipes exposed throughout your property) it didn't feel like a home at all. The folly and converted barn looked good; but you're right - balmy, the pair of 'em.

Still, wish I had the balls to attempt anything near this...
        As a good company drone I really should have watched that one, since we designed and supplied all the structural concrete sections and flooring for it. But I didn't.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Isn't that good for surviving the first few weeks after a nuclear war? Better than a kitchen table with a sheet thrown over it anyway.

I remember seeing some show-houses in Milton Keynes in the early 1980s with nuclear bunkers build into them.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I was wondering about how great an overpressure the roof would take, then realised that it didn't matter a damn since the windows would hit the back wall long before the roof fell in.
            Windows underground?

Perhaps I should have pointed out that the personal nuclear bunkers in Milton Keynes were underground in the middle of each house. It was a bizarre sign of the times that there was a market for such houses.

I suppose the idea was for the shock wave to blow away the house leaving the family safely tucked up in their shelter.

Comment

Last week's episode was rather tragic.

2 minute clip of the husband, who'd just been diagnosed with stomach cancer, at the start.

Sadly, he didn't make it.

House was interesting in the usual odd sort of way.
              Didn't like the house. It looked wrong and too boxy downstairs.

It was a bit tragic at the start though

Comment

Last week's episode was rather tragic.

2 minute clip of the husband, who'd just been diagnosed with stomach cancer, at the start.

Sadly, he didn't make it.

House was interesting in the usual odd sort of way.
                Very sad must have been an agressive cancer .. do you think the architect was a bit 'personally' involved towards the end?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Very sad must have been an agressive cancer .. do you think the architect was a bit 'personally' involved towards the end?
                  Missed the start of that episode, still the houses so far have been uninspiring.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Agree that the houses have been below the usual standard... but what a heart wrencher the 3rd one was

Comment

Working...
                    X