• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate Cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate Cut

Having been thru a rate cut exercise once I guess it's one of those things that could happen again.

When I got the request (directive) last time I took the 10% hit on the rate. However when I spoke to the agent later he mentioned that some of his contractors had instead taken a 10% hit on the time spent on-site. Now I fancy having every Friday afternoon off, so is this a reasonable option to suggest if it comes about?

That's a good one, 10% cut in pay, "I'll be requesting Friday afternoons off because of the reduction in pay.".

Most people don't ask for that, they just slack off due to the p*ss take in rate reduction.

Perhaps more contractors should start demanding what you have demanded to make employers think twice.

A guy at my last place took a 20% pay reduction as I entered, the managers wondered why his productivity was reduced to 0% almost, when they set everything in motion to get him kicked out, he resigned just before they did anything and confessed that he had been more focused on job interviews elsewhere than his daily work due to the rate cut.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      Perhaps more contractors should start demanding what you have demanded....
      Actually I didn't demand it - I had accepted the 10% cut and was chatting to my agent about it, and he happened to mention that some of his other contractors on the same site had accepted a 10% reduction in hours. Which was apparently accepted - it reduced the cost bill by the required 10%.

Naturally BigCo who demand these cuts don't offer to cut 10% off the price they are charging their clients, but you can bet your arse that they will overrun by more than 10% on their costs by messing contractors about like this.

Comment

Working...
      X