• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rooms for contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooms for contractors

Hey all, long time no see, I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that I can advertise a room to let for contractors?
    I have a room to let in London, and it would be ideal for a contractor staying away from home during the week, but can't find a place that advertises just for contractors... Gumtree etc seems to attract mainly students (which are fine and good, but I wanted to aim for contractors)

Try Gum Tree - I was using it to locate rooms during my time in Bristol - although there are a lot of spammers or Spare room.co.uk was the other one I looked at -- state you want a Monday to Friday arrangement and suitable for contractors - be careful on the wording though or you may get building contractors
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

cojak has just got a gig in Londahnnnn so she may be interested.

Not aware of any IT contractor focused sites but there is one targetted at Dr's: Doctor in the House.

Or you could try general sites such as Crashpadders or Monday to Friday.

Comment

spareroom.co.uk or EasyRoomMate.com

I advertise 4 rooms in my own house through them (not in London though). Ignore the premium options and just use the free facilities.

I also post on Gumtree but as mentioned get a lot of spam/time wasters (no idea what they hope to gain).

Its taken a max of two weeks each time to fill any vacancies.

Make sure you have a deposit guarantee scheme in place - I use mydeposits.co.uk
        Last edited by gadgetman; 26 September 2010, 12:04.

Comment

I placed free add on spare rooms, unfortunately I can't send emails to people interested without having to pay premium... ok the premium is low, but still its not as free as I thought. Gum tree I didn't publish my email or my tel number, so didn't get any spam.

Comment

You can always reply to enquries about your rooms via the site, premium or not. I reply asking for a phone number or email. Trust me I've been usnig these sites for 18 months.

How do you get responses on Gumtree without a number or email?

Comment

If I try to mail/message someone it tells me that Early Bird access is required and I need to pay, sorry I can't find anywhere that I can contact for free. I was able to respond to someon who PMed me though.

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                ok the premium is low, but still its not as free as I thought.
                And how much is that "premium"?

If you are making money out of transaction it is only fair you pay reasonable amount to those who help you do it in the first place, being a freeloader will give you bad karma.

Comment

I strongly suspect some of the "early bird" requests or equivalent on the other site may not be 100% genuine.

After being pestered with loads of messages like "someone is trying to contact you about your room - upgrade now", I originally did pay the fee last year but none of them followed through to a rental. Most did not even reply to my contact.

Anyway without the premium people can still contact you and you can still reply, just not as quickly. As I said, on first contact request their number or email.

I placed an ad last week and have someone moving in on Monday, didn't pay for any upgrades. Its up to you, pay if you want to. It works for me without.

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                  If I try to mail/message someone it tells me that Early Bird access is required and I need to pay, sorry I can't find anywhere that I can contact for free. I was able to respond to someon who PMed me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    cojak has just got a gig in Londahnnnn so she may be interested.

Not aware of any IT contractor focused sites but there is one targetted at Dr's: Doctor in the House.

Or you could try general sites such as Crashpadders or Monday to Friday.
                    Yep, true but I need to see the lay of the land first. I'm hoping to get away with just staying over 1 night a week.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X