• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plumber coming tomorrow, pressure bars at 0 after radiator bleed what should do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumber coming tomorrow, pressure bars at 0 after radiator bleed what should do?

I shut off my combi boiler Worchester 28i Jnr, I bled my radiators today and the air came out and I retightened the valve, I switched on my combi boiler and the pressure on the bar gauge was zero and I got no hot water.

Reading around the iternet I see that my combi boiler has a plastic key underneath with you use to somehow increase the pressure for the boiler, I have decided not to touch it but have called a plumber who is due early tomorrow morning.

What should the plumber actually be doing ? I don't want him to waste time and money farting about conning me out of hours of work.

If you look underneath the main part of the boiler you will see a knob that you can turn. This will probably be closed if you have had the system running in the past. If it is anything like mine then the boiler will fail to light due to the pressure being too low.
    If you unwind it you will be able to hear water flowing through the system and at the same time see the pressure gauge rising. Let enough water flow in to get the gauge to the middle of its normal working limit (usually about halfway between zero and the red lines) then close the valve off again. The system should remain pressurised and hopefully will start up on ignition.
    I am not an expert I should say, but am simply recounting what I do whenever the pressure tails off after lengthy periods of being switched off. This was explained to me by that rarest of creatures, a helpful plumber.
    Good luck anyway.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      I shut off my combi boiler Worchester 28i Jnr, I bled my radiators today and the air came out and I retightened the valve, I switched on my combi boiler and the pressure on the bar gauge was zero and I got no hot water.

Reading around the iternet I see that my combi boiler has a plastic key underneath with you use to somehow increase the pressure for the boiler, I have decided not to touch it but have called a plumber who is due early tomorrow morning.

What should the plumber actually be doing ? I don't want him to waste time and money farting about conning me out of hours of work.
      He will turn a small tap on for about 5 seconds to re-pressurise the boiler. Then he will write an invoice.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

He won't need to con you out of hours of work, he'll just give you the bill for call out + minimum period, which will probably be at least £60, do the 2 minutes work and bugger off to the next job.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          If you look underneath the main part of the boiler you will see a knob that you can turn. This will probably be closed if you have had the system running in the past. If it is anything like mine then the boiler will fail to light due to the pressure being too low.
          If you unwind it you will be able to hear water flowing through the system and at the same time see the pressure gauge rising. Let enough water flow in to get the gauge to the middle of its normal working limit (usually about halfway between zero and the red lines) then close the valve off again. The system should remain pressurised and hopefully will start up on ignition.
          I am not an expert I should say, but am simply recounting what I do whenever the pressure tails off after lengthy periods of being switched off. This was explained to me by that rarest of creatures, a helpful plumber.
          Good luck anyway.
          Sounds consistent with a system I got back up to pressure some moons back. In that case though, there was, IIRC, a plastic key (stored in a recess in the boiler cover) that had to be inserted into the thingumy bob (inlet valve) and turned to get the boiler juices flowing and up to pressure. I don't think the instruction manual covered it, as I do recall a lot of head scratching and being pleased to discover a turny thingumybob key and thinking aha, this exists for a reason and it probably serves a useful purpose. It did.

Comment

As others have said, there are probably 1 or 2 knobs underneath that when turned will repressurise the system. Takes about 10 seconds. Google for the manual.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

What they have all said.

On my system it's two valves below the boiler. Turn them on, listen to water flow into the system and watch the pressure go up to midway. Turn them off. Avoid the red overpressure area on the guage!

Done in 2 minutes.

Comment

Agreed...should be 2 mins job...providing there isn't a leak or whatever...

If he takes too long, soften your voice and tell him you find plumbers rather sexy with their large spanners, and he'll probably hurry up and scarper

Comment

Working...
                X