• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After a mere 40 odd years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a mere 40 odd years

I appear to have stopped watching "Horizon".

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

I always miss UK TV, until I get back to the UK
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I saw it last night; was quite interesting.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I stopped watching it a few years back when they did a programme on Atlantis. In parts it was good but my intelligence was insulted when they concluded that it's all a load of codswallop and if you believe it then you are some kind of crypto fascist. Apparently the Nazis were big on Atlantis or something.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          I stopped watching it a few years back when they did a programme on Atlantis. In parts it was good but my intelligence was insulted when they concluded that it's all a load of codswallop and if you believe it then you are some kind of crypto fascist. Apparently the Nazis were big on Atlantis or something.
          Did you see their expose on the Tooth Fairy? Bet that one had you similarly irate!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            It may be codswallop, but it is indeed a non-sequitur to suggest a causal link between belief in Atlantis and being a fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              It may be codswallop, but it is indeed a non-sequitur to suggest a causal link between belief in Atlantis and being a fascist.
              What about the link between being a fascist and having bats in your belfry?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                What about the link between being a fascist and having bats in your belfry?

Perhaps it's too obvious to merit investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I saw it last night; was quite interesting.
                  If that was the one about deep cooling the human body - I thought it was pretty dire & could only stand to watch it for 30 seconds - everything about science on the beeb seems to have been dragged down to a Blue Peter presentation level
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    If that was the one about deep cooling the human body - I thought it was pretty dire & could only stand to watch it for 30 seconds - everything about science on the beeb seems to have been dragged down to a Blue Peter presentation level
                    Hmmm, it was presented in a way that was accessible for as many people as possible. I still found the content interesting; however, it might have gone into more detail about the chemical processes involved; but, there is the internet, and I can seek out more details myself.

Thing is, in a society where I think there's a huge amount of dangerous ignorance about science, it's a difficult balancing act between making a program accessible and keeping it interesting for scientifically trained people. Show the program in a lecture style, with all the chemical formulae presented to the viewer and many of the people who can learn from the program will turn off.

I've always felt that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are excellent examples of popular science broadcasting, but I wonder how many people actually sit and watch the whole lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X