• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nature's Autumn Bounty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nature's Autumn Bounty

Well it's that time of year again and I've been out and about in the beautiful ENGLISH countryside, wicker basket over one arm foraging for various goodies among the burgeoning hedgerows.

Normally I collect a few pounds of blackberries to make some nice pies but this year I'm going a little overboard and am harvesting hazlenuts and rose hips too.

So my question to the good people of this forum is what do you like collecting from hedgerows at this time of year (no Zeity, don't say old discarded copies of Razzle lol!) and what do you like making with the produce that you gather?

Frecking leaves and more leaves to despoil my gravel drive
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      ...nice pies ...
      Right admin and mods, now that we are certain this is a sockie (Threaded's), can we ban him now, please?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Right admin and mods, now that we are certain this is a sockie (Threaded's), can we ban him now, please?
        Not quite sure what you're getting at there, but still...

Would you care to enlighten us with your favourite autumn treat SAS? Perhaps greengage jam?

Comment

Sloe gin and damson gin for me. Damsons a bit earlier in the year but sloes soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            It's this easy to start a dull sockie and wind SAS up?

I may have found a new pass time.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I have a mulberry tree at the bottom of the garden that is full of fruit at the moment. If I could be bothered to find a recipe for making wine out of them, I might harvest a load.
              But I have been saying that for years now, and can't really be @rsed usually.
              Any of our viniculture experts got any quick and easy recipes, or do I just let the birds take them again this year?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I have a mulberry tree at the bottom of the garden that is full of fruit at the moment. If I could be bothered to find a recipe for making wine out of them, I might harvest a load.
                But I have been saying that for years now, and can't really be @rsed usually.
                Any of our viniculture experts got any quick and easy recipes, or do I just let the birds take them again this year?
                As somebody who does not indulge in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, you may consider me unqualified to comment but I do have a book called "Nature's Storecupboard" which has recipes for all kinds of jams, preserves, cordials and wines made from a diverse range of produce. There is a recipe in there for blackberry wine in which they recommend you used 2lb of fruit in a gallon of water. This may give you some ideas of the ratios you will need to consider when making your mulberry wine.

Comment

Working...
                X