• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does Bob do for cheap labour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does Bob do for cheap labour?

Telegraph: Trained monkeys guard athletes at Commonwealth Games
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

True story. I worked on putting a Mobile Phone Network into Calcutta in 1995. One of the things we suggested to the operator was that they fit some kind of security on their basesites to prevent theft etc.
    At the first site we visited after that meeting we found that they had a bloke living in the cellsite with his mattress, brew kit etc.
    Probably cheaper than fitting remote alarms I suppose.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Can they do all codes?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Can they do all codes?
        Proberbly better than me at the very least.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          True story. I worked on putting a Mobile Phone Network into Calcutta in 1995. One of the things we suggested to the operator was that they fit some kind of security on their basesites to prevent theft etc.
          At the first site we visited after that meeting we found that they had a bloke living in the cellsite with his mattress, brew kit etc.
          Probably cheaper than fitting remote alarms I suppose.

I can vouch for the truth of this. At one third world site we had a security guard for the UPS room. The look on the faces of the labourers when they saw all those heavy duty batteries was enough to tell us it was a necessary precaution.

It's a very different economy when labour is so cheap. When thinking of building a swimming pool we Westerners think "Where can I rent a JCB?" In the third world you simply get a gang of shovel wielders in. Car transporters? Nah - hire a fleet of drivers.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Insourcing back to Oz

There is a company operating in Western Sydney that is run by a recent Indian migrant to Oz. He is also a taxi driver, that's how I met him. He picked me up outside the bank I work at and took me home one late night. He was asking me detailed questions about the internals of the JVM. He clearly knew quite a lot so I asked him a few questions. Turns out, he is subcontracting work from Indian outsourcing companies back into Australia. He is getting Indian students at Aussie uni's to do the coding. He then double checks the work and then the Indian outsourcers take it on. Eventually the software comes back to Australia no doubt.

Comment

So is that all development is these days, a sweatshop churning out code like cheap T-shirts or footballs?

Do we have many coders on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                So is that all development is these days, a sweatshop churning out code like cheap T-shirts or footballs?

Do we have many coders on here?
                Yes, the trend is now to get something done quick then redo it in a few years time when it can't be maintained. It no longer takes 2 years to get to a first release. It's a miserable job these days, for most programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  I strongly suspect that they are vBulletin's lead developers

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Can they do all codes?
                    Its pretty obvious they're testers.
                    Don't they all look like this?

Comment

Working...
                    X