• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German car wash £35 !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German car wash £35 !!!

They said on the BBC news this morning that it's illegal to clean your own car due to environmental impact and a pro with the correct license and facilities charges £35.

How far off the mark is this? Can't be true can it?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    They said on the BBC news this morning that it's illegal to clean your own car due to environmental impact and a pro with the correct license and facilities charges £35.

You can instruct your driver to use a self service car wash, which is much cheaper.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Used to get my car washed regularly at the local car washes in Germany back in the eighties. Fairly high-tech machines they used, but don't recall them being any more pricey than the equivalent ones over here. Sounds like scaremongering to me.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Nah. The poles do a nice job on mine for a tenner.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Apple and oranges. What price is a car valet in Blighty?

As Mitch says, a self service jobby is far less, though I stopped using those after one dumped a thick layer of wax on my windscreen. I now use a place which has the appropriate brushes, sprays and driers to do the job myself. It's kinder on the paintwork and costs less than a pint in the local pub.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I just don't wash my car.

Comment

I pay 5 EUR for the local car wash, the most expensive one would be about 16 EUR.

It could be that the 35 EUR means you get washed and polished personally by a car cleaning "professional", not in an automatic car wash. Though I suspect the report is just completely wrong.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 September 2010, 14:28.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I pay 5 EUR for the local car wash, the most expensive one would be about 16 EUR.

It could be that the 35 EUR means you get washed and polished personally by a car cleaning "professional", not in an automatic car wash. Though I suspect the report is just completely wrong.
                I suspect there exists, somewhere, a hockeystick graph detailing the relative costs of Teutonic Car Washing.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Why can't you wash your car in Germany?
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

I heard an interview with someone on the radio this morning pushing for regulating people-powered car washes. He was going on about minimum wages and the cost of disposing billions of litres of effluent.

It didn't sound as if the standards were actually in operation, and he sounded like he was p*ssing in the wind, but I wasn't paying 100% attention.

If he wanted a load of new regulations against cleaning your own car he must be a Labour politician - they love tying everyone up in red tape - so it's just as well he's not in power to implement it.

Comment

Working...
                    X