• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Car?

I'm sorry to have to create this thread, as I know it's dull. But, I need you all.

I need (well, want) to buy a car. I currently have a 2004 3 Series, which isn't actually great for boot space once all the baby crap is in there. The back seats aren't great for the carseat as they are tilted, so nothing sits properly on them. It's a manual, and I'd like an automatic.

I'd like something with more space, but not a people carrier. No, no, no.
    As above, I'd like an automatic.
    Nothing too sluggish, currently doing a lot of motorway miles.
    Comfortable and responsive.
    Not brand new, ideally about 3 years old.
    Nothing above about £17k.

I was seriously considering the Volvo XC90. But, I can't help wondering if a 7 seater is overkill for just the boy and I.

All ideas appreciated...
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

People Carrier or Estate Car.

That's your choice.

Unless you want to be one of those women in a 4x4 who can't park.

Though my female friends' with 4x4 can park them probably cos they are my sporting buddies......
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well I'm sure that green considerations are at the forefront of your mind and there are one or two options that will serve as capacious candidates commensurate with your nominated price range. There's the Citroën C4, 1600 diesel which comes in at around 14k and if you want to stretch all the way to the upper limit of your budget then you could do worse than a Prius. Both of these options incur ZERO TOAD TAX and that in itself should leave you with enough money to BUY YOURSELF A BICYCLE.

Comment

Get a 3-series touring automatic.

Comment

a red one
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's your choice.

Though my female friends' with 4x4 can park them probably cos they are my sporting buddies......
            I have parked tractors before, so a 4x4 wouldn't pose me a problem.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Love that. Was eyeing one up the other day. Would I look like a lesbian?
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                The kid in the back should clear matters up

Seriously though, that would be my recommendation, although looks like they are manual only
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

How about a 5-door diesel VW Golf?

e.g. GOLF 1.6 TDi 105 SE 5dr DSG (2010).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's your choice.

Isn't an estate harder to park than a 4x4?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    The kid in the back should clear matters up
                    Not in these enlightened times.

What's wrong with something like a Focus or Civic? Will easily fit you, baby and stuff in the boot since many families use them for just that.

Boring but reliable and practical...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X