• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swine Flu!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swine Flu!!!

It's back!!!

The swine flu virus which killed 69 Scots is expected to return with a vengeance this winter, experts have warned.

The Scottish Government said it expects the flu to be the predominant strain and is urging those most at risk - including the elderly and pregnant women - to get vaccinated.

There was an outbreak of the H1N1 virus - known as swine flu because the virus is similar to a type which affects pigs - in summer 2009.

It caused more than 14,000 deaths across the world and around 360 in the UK.

Professor Hugh Pennington, an expert in bacteriology, warned that a new outbreak could be more lethal than last year's pandemic.

He told a newspaper: "The past is the guide to the future with flu and with all pandemics there have been subsequent waves which have been hotter and nastier and killed more people.

"In 1918-19 for example when 50 million people died of H1N1, the second wave was much more serious than the first.

"A lack of scientific evidence means we do not know and are never likely to know whether this was because of a mutation or because it attacked people who were not affected first time round."

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: "It is expected that H1N1 will be the main flu virus circulating during the 2010-11 season. Most people will recover from flu naturally within a week.

"However, those with health conditions, including heart and lung problems, are at an increased risk of experiencing serious complications as a result of flu. These people are encouraged to receive vaccination to protect themselves."
    I'm alright though, vaccined up.

Bring back CyberTory!

Comment

"The swine flu virus which killed 69 Scots is expected to return with a vengeance this winter, experts have warned. "

Love it. 69 Scots. Thats the equivalent of a Burns night piss up in Glasgow :rolling
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        "The swine flu virus which killed 69 Scots is expected to return with a vengeance this winter, experts have warned. "

Love it. 69 Scots. Thats the equivalent of a Burns night piss up in Glasgow :rolling
        I once had a Scots girlfriend from Glasgow who enjoyed a 69 on Burns night.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          It's back!!!

I'm alright though, vaccined up.
          Had it.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Does last year's vaccination work or is another required?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Does last year's vaccination work or is another required?
              I am pretty sure it does, I will find out at lunch time for sure.

Comment

Last year's vaccination will count for this year assuming it has not mutated which it has not, the seasonal flu vaccine also has the swine flu strain in it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Last year's vaccination will count for this year assuming it has not mutated which it has not, the seasonal flu vaccine also has the swine flu strain in it this year.
                  eugenics in action
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

How come you guys got vaccinated? Are you old and vulnerable?
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X