• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is England '86

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is England '86

Anyone else been watching this? I thought it was good but a bit on the bleak side.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Got the last 2 to watch, I was a 'Rude boy' in '86 (a sort of stylish skinhead with hair and not racist ) so I remember it well.

I would have watched them by now if the Sky 'engineer' had paired the card when he replaced the box, I came back from my hols to find all my recordings had failed.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Bleak is the word. Hardly "uplifting" viewing I have to admit.

Comment

Saw them all except last nights as my Sky+ box failed to record it.

TBH, have been a bit dis-appointed with the series and am hoping Stephen Graham's re-appearance in the final episode will lift it.

Wonder if they will do another?

Comment

Saw some of the first one. The original film was set in 1983, and I seem to recall the black lad getting killed in the film though. Odd that he would have made such a lazarus-type recovery by 1986. Not much attention to detail Mr Meadows!!
          Hardly as good as the film though, and looks to me like he is just trying to squeeze a few extra quid out of it.
          Last edited by shaunbhoy; 29 September 2010, 17:08.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The movie itself was very depressing.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Saw some of the first one. The original film was set in 1983, and I seem to recall the black lad getting killed in the film though. Odd that he would have made such a lazarus-type recovery by 1986. Not much attention to detail Mr Meadows!!
              Hardly as good as the film though, and looks to me like he is just trying to squeeze a few extra quid out of it.
              The film was shown just before the series, the black lad was beaten but didn't die.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                The film was shown just before the series, the black lad was beaten but didn't die.
                Fair enough!! Was a bit of a serious kicking if memory serves mind. Great comeback!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Fair enough!! Was a bit of a serious kicking if memory serves mind. Great comeback!
                  There was a skinhead in my home town who had 'screwdriver' tattooed on his forehead, it was meant to read 'skrewdriver' but he failed to tell the tattooist the difference in spelling.

He later tried to get the C to look like a K by getting another line tattooed in front which made it look even more ridiculous.

Comment

Last episode was probably the best because it was the least ludicrous (except when Shaun says "Whatever!" Nobody said that in 86 did they?).
                    Still haven't got over the hospital in the first episode, that only had 2 patients and 1 doctor. I'm not surprised Thatcher wanted to close a few down if they were running at that capacity.

Comment

Working...
                    X